220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

• 1 month later...

If if have a gpu that needs one six pin input do I just need the DA-2+a 6 pin splitter (this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-Express-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B004NNTVT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446403659&sr=1-1&keywords=6+pin+splitter) and a barrell plug (this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUGZ2GO-SET-OF-MALE-FEMALE-2-5MM-X-5-5MM-DC-POWER-CONNECTORS-for-CCTV-REPAIRS-/221500794870?var=&hash=item339279e7f6:m:mCKcIUPGyWEAIPvVbrw65gg)?

With one 6 pin going into the gpu and the other I cut down and connect to a barrell plug for powering the akitio? Then the paperclip between the da-2 and 6 pin grounds as w4vz has done?

• Thumbs Up 1

If if have a gpu that needs one six pin input do I just need the DA-2+a 6 pin splitter (this: Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) and a barrell plug (this: PLUGZ2GO SET OF MALE & FEMALE 2.5MM X 5.5MM DC POWER CONNECTORS for CCTV/REPAIRS | eBay)?

With one 6 pin going into the gpu and the other I cut down and connect to a barrell plug for powering the akitio? Then the paperclip between the da-2 and 6 pin grounds as w4vz has done?

Yep, that's about what you need. Just be sure to check that you've plugged in the 6 pin splitter correctly before you're powering it, just to avoid any trouble.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I just have one question - the two 6pins obviously go into the GPU, but where exactly on an akitio do you plug in the molex 4 pin plug? Because all I could find in terms of input type is the barrel connector, and I'm assuming you didn't use it, since you don't mention it in your tutorial..

Just to be sure a few questions...

Pin #1 (Sense) will be cut of on the Adapter cable and isolated - Right?

Pin #5 (Remote) must be grounded against Pin #6 (GND) (or #7/8) - Right?

Can I solder the Barrel Plug, lets say, only to Pins #4 + #8 or does this create to much unequal load to the PSU? I will connect 2,3,4 + 6,7,8 to the GPU as well, each of it by a single wire connection.

Sense shouldn't be used, right.

Remote needs to have a permanent conenction to any ground to make the PSU start.

I joined all 12V together and all ground ports. By that the load should be spread evenly.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TYRTlive said:

Do we still have to feed Akitio Thunder2 if we are certain we're powering our GPU with a right amount of power? I figured we do, but just asking to make sure. 

Have always done. Done via the AKiTiO DC jack barrel port.

Only time this has been avoided is by when a PCIe riser extension with 12V input was plugged into the AKiTiO PCIe slot. This is NOT recommended as it leads to Gen2 signal degradation that has resulted in an unstable implementation.

13 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Have always done. Done via the AKiTiO DC jack barrel port.

Only time this has been avoided is by when a PCIe riser extension with 12V input was plugged into the AKiTiO PCIe slot. This is NOT recommended as it leads to Gen2 signal degradation that has resulted in an unstable implementation.

I see. But other than PCIe power adapters(8pins and/or 6pins), Akitio can only provide 75W right? So if we have a 300W PSU, and our GPU consumes 325~330W peak, it should be enough?

20 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

How could that be ok if the GPU uses more than the PSU can provide?!

No no, not just PSU. 300W from PSU+The 75W provided from the adapter connected to the box. 

So this:

http://www.akitio.com/faq/270-thunder2-pcie-box-what-s-the-maximum-power-output-through-the-pcie-slot

Plus our GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote the guys on eBay about that cable and they gave me a phone number I could call to order one. I don't want to share it publicly on the forum but if you message them and ask they will probably give you the same. Its a shame you can't just order online but the phone should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I just wanted to check with the more experienced guys on here that what I am doing will work.  I was intending on buying the pre made cable but it is no longer available so from reading on these forums, the setup on the attached image is what I plan to do. 

Dell da-2(pin trick remote to ground) > PCIE 6 to dual 8 cable > 8 pin extension to reach the card > cut the other 6 pins attaching the yellows and blacks to positive and negative terminals of the barrel plug

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EGPU.jpg

On 1/9/2016 at 11:18 AM, CM said:

Hi 

I just wanted to check with the more experienced guys on here that what I am doing will work.  I was intending on buying the pre made cable but it is no longer available so from reading on these forums, the setup on the attached image is what I plan to do. 

Dell da-2(pin trick remote to ground) > PCIE 6 to dual 8 cable > 8 pin extension to reach the card > cut the other 6 pins attaching the yellows and blacks to positive and negative terminals of the barrel plug

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EGPU.jpg

I'm no expert but just wanted to say thanks for drawing the diagram. So the 6pin female is a better choice than the 8pin female so that the "pin trick" can be used for startup? So to be clear 75W will go to the box (akitio) and 75W will go to the card vie PCIE 8pin for a total of 150W? I'm looking to do this too (ordering parts tomorrow) but I am wondering if this cable setup will work with even higher power cards? lower power cards?  

edit: just wondering is it confirmed that the CCTV barrel plug you list is rated to pass 6.25A? 

Edited by esatamod

The barrel should be able to handle even more since 75W can be used just by the GPU and some extra by the AKiTiO itself.

Just a small amount of cards really use all the 75W on the PCIe slot, most use way less.

With the ASUS card having a 8-Pin plug on it, it will draw up to 150W on that single plug.

I could not find this information on the thread or through google but can someone confirm that the "unused" Pin does not carry any voltage at all?  I was hoping it would carry 5v to power my usb hub.... but now im not seeing this and I believe that my impression that it did was because of the Xbox Brick.  Before i cancel my order and go with the XBOX FAT Brick can someone confirm this is true?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

All the parts already arrived.

Proceeding with plugging in the Dell DA-2 (INPUT: AC100-240V OUTPUT: DC12V-18A) to the Akitio Thunder2 via Barrel.

Zotac 750 Ti 2GB requirements:-

Recommended Power Supply

400W

Power Consumption

60W

Before proceeding, I want to double check my diagram below, I'll also purchase a multimeter and check the output on the plug making sure not exceeding 12V.

Just want to make sure the setup is okay, please advice. 

Thank you very much, much appreciated!

Will upload the setup once I managed to run it on my macbook pro Late 2011 :D

Modified.thumb.png.8a2c3432afe1e2fa8b43a

Hi all.

Loving this discussion. I've finally assembled all my parts - the only missing link is the cable between the DA-2 and the video card.

I have:

- Akitio Thunder2

- Inno3D GTX970 Herculez X1 (to fit in the box with no modifications)

- Dell DA-2

Where I'm getting confused is that the card came with a single 6-PIN connector PCI-e power cable like this: 71RTWfffYuL._SL1500_.jpg

But the card itself has 2x 6-PIN connectors. Is this because the card needs double the power of the previous version? (Which only had a single 6-PIn power connector)

Or do I only need a single 6-PIN plug as per the supplied cable? I can't find any further info on Inno3D's site regarding this.

At it's most basic level, I think I need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007RXDDM  (Though not this exact one, as I want the low profile version of the connectors to close my Akitio box.)

The two 6-PIN males fit into the card, and the 6-PIN female into the right side of the 8-PIN DA-2 connector (+ paperclip in remote/ground holes)

From there I will add another cable for the barrel plug to power the Akitio as per all the previous examples.

Thanks for any pointers !

Edited by lukeperman

You need 2x6-Pin to make the GPU run! The graphics card only comes with one adapter, because every PC that wants to run this card should have at least 1x6-Pin PCIe cable on the PSU. The 2nd 6-Pin can be made with that adapter. There are not two adapters, because using two adapters would mean that the PSU can run the GPU in the first place.

With using the Dell DA-2 we are doing sth totally different.

You have two options:

1. I can solder you a all in one ready to go cable

or

2. you text this guy and let him make this cable for you (favour, not through eBay): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akitio-eGPU-8-PIN-TO-2-x-PCI-E-6-PIN-MALE-AND-1-x-ID-2-5mm-OD-5-5mm-BARREL-/251984919354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aab78bb3a

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for getting back to me. That makes it really clear now. I'm based in Sydney, Australia so am struggling to find all the parts for the cable. Was thinking of grabbing that connector part from Amazon and making the necessary modification for the barrel plug. It would be awesome if someone could do it for me. How do we make that work?

Thanks again.