220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

@martinm0:

take a look at Morvs pic "egpuwiring.jpg".

Instead of the paperclip (red stripe) you can insert a switch. There's no huge load on it so you can use a small switch and thin wires

Could you possibly link this pic? I searched for it and looked for it under Morv's build but I did not see it.

By the way, thanks for the wealth of information you have all put up. Despite having zero experience with this, most of it is easily understood.

Could you possibly link this pic? I searched for it and looked for it under Morv's build but I did not see it.

By the way, thanks for the wealth of information you have all put up. Despite having zero experience with this, most of it is easily understood.

In this thread! :D

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion-4.html#post134037

• Thumbs Up 1

Please take a look at page 1. There is a pinout of the DA-2. As you can see there is a Remote pin. If you make an electric connection between the remote pin and a ground pin, the DA-2 is "on". If there is no connection, the DA-2 is "off". So a switch can change it's state in making a connection (on) or removing the connection (off).

That's a great find! I had emailed this vendor on Friday inquiring about super low profile cables. They seem to be very in tune with our projects and are willing to custom make anything we need (I inquired about a splitter cable with low profile connectors). This is exciting stuff for those that don't want to fabricate their own cables!

• Thumbs Up 2

Seems like someone is selling a ready to go cable on US ebay:

Akitio Egpu 8 Pin to 2 x PCI E 6 Pin Male and 1 x ID 2 5mm OD 5 5mm Barrel | eBay

$_57.JPG

Wow! Added to the first post. This is a straight plug'n'play solution for attaching a Dell DA-2 to an AKiTiO Thunder2. Almost as if coming from the factory. This being perfect for US customers. Overseas customers may need to evaluate shipping costs against say w4vz splitter solution.

That's a great find! I had emailed this vendor on Friday inquiring about super low profile cables. They seem to be very in tune with our projects and are willing to custom make anything we need (I inquired about a splitter cable with low profile connectors). This is exciting stuff for those that don't want to fabricate their own cables!

Well, the picture with 'shortage' in it is jacobsson's pic from the opening post at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html#post102834 .

Strange that this ebay advert makes no mention of a Dell DA-2 when clearly the 8-pin connector has been designed to attach to one.

Akitio Egpu 8 Pin to 2 x PCI E 6 Pin Male and 1 x ID 2 5mm OD 5 5mm Barrel | eBay

It's almost like a stealth advertising product designed only for AKiTiO eGPU users attaching with a 220W Dell DA-2. Very good price for a ready-to-go cable. It also has the GND pin wired through such that when you attach the Dell DA-2, it powers on.

I'm asking the vendor to make the connectors as low profile as possible as this doesn't seem to the shortest option they offer. I may ask for a shorter version as I'd like to get my build fully enclosed (though I'm still waffling over the best approach on how to complete that build). Really loved the build with the 8pin built into the IO shield of the GPU and the power switch.

That cable is just the easiest way for people to set up the eGPU. A user from reddit got in touch with that vendor and made him sell the cable on eBay.

The only suggestion I would have is to orientate the 90° into the other direction (facing to the back of the AKiTiO).

Agreed. Do you think having the cables bent towards the back of the card will make it low enough to get the case on, or will the wires have to spread out on both sides (as I've seen in your pics)? I'm having them fab me up one and I indicated the double right angle wasn't the best approach for our use.

Well… to be honest… after a 2nd look I would say that they used normal PCIe plugs and just bend the cables. I am pretty sure that it will not fit! I am using low profile plugs on a slim card, so there is no tolerance for higher plugs.

Please compare with the plugs I am using: NEW 6-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E 90 Degree right extension w/ low profile4" USA MADE | eBay

Well… to be honest… after a 2nd look I would say that they used normal PCIe plugs and just bend the cables. I am pretty sure that it will not fit! I am using low profile plugs on a slim card, so there is no tolerance for higher plugs.

Please compare with the plugs I am using: NEW 6-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E 90 Degree right extension w/ low profile4" USA MADE | eBay

Well, right. This vendor also makes a super low profile connector (they cut off the latch and I presume trim down the excess from the head), which is what I suggested they should add to this. But taking yours, for example, you had to spread the wires on both sides of the card. I'm just curious if the bend the cables towards the back of the connector if that would be sufficient to get the case on, or would you expect we would still need to spread the wires out individually to fit?

Here's the super low connector: Pair of PCI E 6 Pin 90 Degree Super Low Low Profile 7" Extension Made in USA | eBay

The one I am using has to spread the wires to the side or the case will scratch the wires and might damage them. So just facing back/front by 90° will not be enough.

The super low profile plugs seem much better, but as they mention on eBay: It is easier to unplug the cable if they still have the clip on.

Hi Friends,

I don't wanna start a new discussion about this PSU. But what is a power SWITCHing unit without a switch, i thought? Without further ado, i took a switch and installed it.

And here's how it looks:

93474c86fa7b8e1a6cb4a30888bdaff3.jpg

While it is very tight in the housing, but with a little tweaking, you can accommodate the switch.

The switch cuts both lines of the mains voltage, so it's ensured that even with incorrect house installation, the power supply is de-energized.

• Thumbs Up 2

Using this since I use my eGPU, didn't want to toggle my ATX on/off that often either so I bought one of these. Doesn't matter if this one will be defect, can be replaced easily. Using my toe btw...won't crawl under my desk every time :P

post-17006-14495000365083_thumb.jpg

Still it's a good mod. It's nice if you've got the stuff and knowledge to do such things. I don't even have got the tools to mod my Akitio to be closed :rolleyes:

post-17006-14495000364578_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2