New homemade dual power supply mod with wattage meter. [660W]

Hello all,

I know it's been a while since the last time I come around here, but I'm back just to give you an update about this new mod (someone around this forums knew about it was being developed) .

It's currently finished and it's under testing. I am not yet using it paired with the laptop because I need to run a few test before doing so to be pretty sure it will work without any problems.

As soon as I think the mod is 100% stable I will write a PDF to let you know how we did it (my father and I, I do not want to take his credit, he was the one who designed the circuit). But I want to share some pics with you. Hope you like it:

Final stage:

Ul99NNW.jpg

Other pics:

HmUCO1f.jpg

FXb634t.jpg

d5Y74Bo.jpg

ua75i1I.jpg

Ryo0qUJ.jpg

XWsgsbZ.jpg

hFGsDFP.jpg

FbGk5Uu.jpg

DOjnsdZ.jpg

5wWeZkr.jpg

I will update this with more info asap. clear.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Why you would ever need a 660W PSU for a laptop?

Also, can you use 2 different adapters? That would be extremely useful in some cases.

If you have for example a Clevo P570WM3 with dual GPUs and socket 2011 CPU.

If you have for example a Clevo P570WM3 with dual GPUs and socket 2011 CPU.

Yeah, but that clevo can hold 1 gpu only....

Anyways, it would be super cool for those who have a pair of 250W and plan to up for GTX 980m and such. Im not criticizing your work, infact I find it brilliant and I think you have a bad ass dad.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I need it because of the overclock, with my current setup SLI GTX 680M @ slv7 mod vbios I need more than 330 W I saw peaks of nearly 400W and if I change my GPU to 780M, 880M or 980M I'm quite sure I will need more than 330W. That's the reason of this mod :P

Sorry for not coming back earlier but I didn't know that my thread was approved. I will post all the data asap.

PS: I works like a charm if you are planing to do OC to you beast you need one of this (or other model not mine exactly, there's other mods over here that I saw)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nikos, I actually need this. Considering the fact that I run my CUDA applications on GPU and they are mostly testing the limits of my laptop and power supply. Although my power supply has been a good one and hasn’t given up yet, I still won’t take a risk because I can’t afford any damage to my laptop whatsoever. Thank you for sharing this, I’m going to be reading it’s pdf before deciding on it.

quick turn pcb assembly

• 2 months later...

Looks pretty awesome. If you post the directions I'll consider getting an extra PSU and giving it a try. I'm running an R1 with 2960xm and 780 SLI and I believe I'm running into some power issues as the PSU will just randomly die when under load. Though do you know if I can test the power draw from my system with either software or basic multimeter. I can do basic electrical work but I'm no elec eng. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Nikos4Life I lost one day the account (this one) and crated Nikos4Life so if there is any admin over here can join both accounts?

Ontopic: I did not post any more info because I did not finish the dual PSU mod yet, one PSU was very very weak so I decided to do a TRI-PSU mod I will let you know as soon as I get it running.

Sorry if you are waiting but I do not want to share any info and then you can get it working because of a mistake I did or something like that. I will try to post it as easy to follow as I can :D

Miguel, did you try the PSU mod that's stickied here under M18x/AW 18? It seems there are folks that are having success with it, I'm going to give it a go myself when I can get my hands on another PSU for my R1.

I can't think of a mobile rig that would need more then 660W, so if you need more then this it would seem to me at least that something may be wrong with your setup. Though I could be wrong, what have you got in your rig that you need the TRI setup?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Miguel, did you try the PSU mod that's stickied here under M18x/AW 18? It seems there are folks that are having success with it, I'm going to give it a go myself when I can get my hands on another PSU for my R1.

I can't think of a mobile rig that would need more then 660W, so if you need more then this it would seem to me at least that something may be wrong with your setup. Though I could be wrong, what have you got in your rig that you need the TRI setup?

Thanks for the info the problem is one PSU (not bought directly from Dell, ebay reseller) We built a PSU "benchmark" which consisted in a bunch of resistors (all well calculated) who load the PSU, one was able to hold almost 500W but the other only can achieve 240-300W no more. So the only solution is to add a third PSU. It will be able to choose if I want to use one, two o three PSUs. I will post pics when it's done :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info the problem is one PSU (not bought directly from Dell, ebay reseller) We built a PSU "benchmark" which consisted in a bunch of resistors (all well calculated) who load the PSU, one was able to hold almost 500W but the other only can achieve 240-300W no more. So the only solution is to add a third PSU. It will be able to choose if I want to use one, two o three PSUs. I will post pics when it's done :D

- - - Updated - - -

I have been wondering about whether to get a second PSU from eBay or dell. You can find them on eBay with exactly the same part number but it still has me a little worried.

Just to confirm that you have 2 330W PSU'S with the same part number, one that can't pull 500W and the other only 240 to 300W? Or is one the 240W PSU?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...