is my GPU fried?

ssassassa9

I have a Sager NP9150 with an AMD7970M. Last night, my screen blacked out while I was watching a video, audio was still playing just the screen. I restarted the laptop but it wouldn't get pass the windows logo screen. Tried several times but windows doesn't boot. So this is what I did:

-formatted the laptop

-installed a fresh copy of windows 7

-boot up

-install drivers(except AMD 7970M)

-reboot and everything works fine

-install AMD 7970M driver, installation stuck at a black screen with a blinking underscore

-restart, stuck at windows boot logo

-restore back to before AMD drivers were installed

-boot up fine

I've tried this like 4 times now and most of the time it gets stuck at windows boot logo, and once it just BSOD during the windows boot logo screen. Does this mean that my GPU is fried? Are there any ways to confirm this before I buy a replacement GPU?

have u tried reseating the card, repasting it, checking the proper placement of the thermal pads on it, as well as cleaning out ur system from dust in the fans and heatsinks? if the issue still persists afterwards, the gpu might indeed be damaged and ull only be able to operate using the igpu. u still need the dgpu installed tho, otherwise ur laptop will freak out and shutdown

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'll disassemble the gpu later and if it still doesnt work It's probably the dGPU right? Cuz I don't wanna spend money on a new GPU and realize that something else is broken instead of the GPU.

Just realized I don't have the tool to unscrew the hexagonal shaped thing that holds the card in place

u can just use a regular philips flat head screwdriver.... :)

well, if it still doesnt work then chances are good its the dgpu. there is, however, an additional chance that its the display cable or the display itself. but since the issues only arise once u install the AMD gpu drivers, its very likely the dgpu :)

I have a Sager NP9150 with an AMD7970M. Last night, my screen blacked out while I was watching a video, audio was still playing just the screen. I restarted the laptop but it wouldn't get pass the windows logo screen. Tried several times but windows doesn't boot. So this is what I did:

-formatted the laptop

-installed a fresh copy of windows 7

-boot up

-install drivers(except AMD 7970M)

-reboot and everything works fine

-install AMD 7970M driver, installation stuck at a black screen with a blinking underscore

-restart, stuck at windows boot logo

-restore back to before AMD drivers were installed

-boot up fine

I've tried this like 4 times now and most of the time it gets stuck at windows boot logo, and once it just BSOD during the windows boot logo screen. Does this mean that my GPU is fried? Are there any ways to confirm this before I buy a replacement GPU?

Look for another dgpu. Best GTX970M or K5000M/GTX680M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...