EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Hawkeye

Has anyone installed a 970/980m video cards in the m18x R1's?

As per title.

I have yet to find any documentation or threads about this so might as well start now.

Mr. Fox tried a 980m, but the 980m and 970m require UEFI boot on alienware systems to work with direct output to the screen, so SLI is not possible. Optimus mode likely works, but that means you can only use one card.

Is there any progress on this. Im planing to buy new GPU for M18xR1. Id like to know if anyone can conforme that GTX 980 works. Even better if anyone tryied Dell cards?

so, wait, Optimus would allow an m18x-r1 to use a 980M GTX ? Just no SLI , obviously.... that not a bad idea..SLI takes up alot of power.

I'll second that, I just installed 780 SLI in my R1 and believe I'm running into some power issues. More investigation is needed here and I'll get back to the forum when I have more information.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

980M SLI is working on an M18x R2. You Not sure how that translate to an R1. Not my machine BTW.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The 980m you speak of works due ti being able to run legacy UFEI? The m18x R1 does not support it, at least from what I've read on people attempting to try anyways.

Supposedly the best, cheapest option is to run a 860m SLI rig, but honestly who would run that...