XMG 502 PRO (Clevo P150EM) BIOS failed / No warranty

djdblaster

Hey guys,

so here I have a laptop with bad BIOS flash. It got stuck at 80% and after turning it on, I see XMG splash screen along with F2 for Setup and F7 for Boot Options. I can select them, but it won't do anything. Stays stuck in place. Keyboard lights up, fans turn, screen is working. I've already got the battery out and held power button for 15 seconds. Didn't help.

Is there any other shot that I can take?

Along with AC Adapter and battery remove the CMOS battery (below the keyboard).

Removed the AC Adapter, battery and CMOS battery. Held power on button for 10 seconds and then plugged back in AC Adapter and CMOS battery. Turned it on and the same thing happens as before.

I've even tried starting without CMOS battery. No change however.

Booted without CMOS battery. First it went black screen and then restarted itself. Then had the white symbol "-" in the upper left corner and XMG screen showed up with F2 and F7 options. Pressed F2 to enter BIOS setup and it did enter. It was slow, but I managed to move around. However, laptop shut down after being in BIOS for like 10 seconds. CPU fan was spinning hard.

Started it again and this time it went through XMG starting screen and showed message: No proper boot device installed or something like that. CMOS battery is still out.

Good, now first put the CMOS battery back and see if it still allows you to enter the BIOS, then put the GPU back in there, that will keep it from doing a thermal shutdown.

If that still lets you enter the BIOS then put your SSD back in and try...

I've installed GPU first and then tried to boot it. It hangs on XMG screen. Then I installed CMOS battery and still hangs at XMG screen. Fans turn though.

Shall I remove everything again and then try with CMOS battery first?

What GPU do you have? Do you have another one?

I've removed everything and started again, but this time with CMOS battery in. I can enter BIOS and move around normally. Laptop doesn't turn itself off.

GPU is 7970M. I have Dell/AW (green) GTX 770M (pulled from AW R5) laying around, actually waiting to be installed in another laptop.

Alright, so I guess this goes like this: install BIOS and EC Flash with only CPU, RAM and CMOS installed. Then reinstall GPU and other components?

Edit: I was in BIOS for like a minute, just to disable Intel Anti Theft Technology and see if everything else is ready for BIOS and EC Flash. Laptop was making beeps every second and it shut down. Now the question is how do I flash it if it is going to shut down itself? Can the whole flashing process be finished under 1 minute?

Alright, so I guess this goes like this: install BIOS and EC Flash with only CPU, RAM and CMOS installed. Then reinstall GPU and other components?

Edit: I was in BIOS for like a minute, just to disable Intel Anti Theft Technology and see if everything else is ready for BIOS and EC Flash. Laptop was making beeps every second and it shut down. Now the question is how do I flash it if it is going to shut down itself? Can the whole flashing process be finished under 1 minute?

Does it boot any further with the 770m?

I haven't tried 770M. What about the heatsink? Is it just plug and play like 7970M?

You only need to put the core heatsink on since we're not doing anything on the gpu. You can leave the vram heatsink off for just flashing.

Installed 770M and went through flashing process. I took the picture of the previous BIOS version and it seems updated right now.

Then I have removed 770M and installed 7970M with both heatsinks. Still hangs at the starting screen. This time it is Style Note.

Update #1: BIOS fail update was actually 2 programs that were ran: Winflash and ATI Winflash. Winflash was ran in DOS to update BIOS. Went good. Then ATI Winflash was ran in Windows to flash 7970M. Went wrong. (as you might have noticed, laptop is not mine, but I'm rather willing to make it work)

So... What are my options? I have MS 16F3 laying around...

Update #2: My thoughts are to install 7970M in MS 16F3 and flash stock vBIOS? I believe it could boot with IGPU as it did before when I had a dead 670M inside.

Any advice is highly welcomed and appreciated.

May I install 7970M in other laptop (MS 16F3) and flash stock vBIOS? If yes, some instructions would be great.

Update: X-bracket taken off from 7970M. It's installed in MS 16F3 with heatsink. Waiting for green light that vBIOS flash can be done using other laptop...

Update #2: Seems like I cannot go past post screen. MS 16F3 doesn't have unlocked BIOS so there is no option to choose to run on iGPU.

However, I have another laptop, Medion Erazer x6819 (MS 16F2?), with unlocked BIOS and plenty of options to choose from. I can enable/disable iGPU and choose IGFX (default PEG with 570M) as the primary graphics adapter, but after saving settings and restarting, there is no screen. I cannot get it to show anything on the screen. Tried HDMI, nothing. Don't have VGA at the moment.

Would this idea work to flash 7970M using Medion Erazer? I've even found somehow original stock vBios for Clevo 7970M. It is the same version as the label on the 7970M itself. (Might need further clarification)

• 2 months later...

Alright everybody,

the bricked 7970M was solved by re-programming and flashing latest CLEVO 7970M vBios. I installed it back in P150EM, installed latest ATI drivers, but I do have a slight problem. I cannot read temperatures.

As I am typing this, I am also downloading official 7970M driver (laptop is from XMG, btw), so I will see if that helps.

I have seen people commenting how it could be related to vBios issue. If so, I do have stickers on the card where it says what vBios version is. So I guess I could download some older vBios and flash it?

This is what I have found: Index of /support/drivers/VBIOS ------------> P150EM_HD7970.zip

The stickers on the 7970M say this:

AMD WIMBLEDON V1.1 2G

VBIOS: 015.024.000.001

6-77-15EL-D11-4

Front side: S-BJABKAB

I could fire up GPU-Z, save vBIOS and see what the difference is.