[Idea] Create open source standrd that could transfer pci-e, usp and display port.

jtomes123

Hi, I had an idea. We could make new open source cable standard that could carry pci-e and usb or display port etc... This would be perfect for egpu use and it would work with any thunderbolt notebook because I think Intel would licence a cheap convertion from thunderbolt to our standart.

You mean something like USB-C which is just coming to users? It supports USB, Displayport and PCIe modes in one port. The different modes have to be enabled by the manufacturer, though. So not every device will necessarily support the PCIe mode.

Apart from this the speed isn't the same as Thunderbolt 2 yet. The theoretical speed is 10 Gbit/s as far as I know, so it would be like Thunderbolt 1.

My guess is that Thunderbolt will die. At last if Apple decides to only use USB-C in future.

Yay! someone else is figuring this out too. 10gbps is definitely viable for EGPU. It's only a matter of time. I don't think it's the manufacturer that enables anything though. It's the adapter you choose. Each cable is different. Not the port AFAIK

Read post #2 in this thread. I already wrote it has three different modes including a PCIe compatible one.

Yes but is it PCI-E compatible in terms of usb-style data or PCI-E style data. That is the key here.

I'd think there'd be more excitement over this but it seems, (correct me if wrong), there's confusion because usb 3.1 has no PCI-E but USB-C *could* be PCI-E (see above). That's what I' wondering.

I hope i'm right

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.