I took the plunge.... :D

So I finally took the plunge and ended up ordering a M14x for a really good deal :80: Looking forward to having the combo of power in my R3 and portability with good power in the 14x. I know when I got my 11x's I had in the past it was an absolute nightmare getting it all dialed in. If anyone can give me any tips or recommendations for dialing it in and possibly some settings for both power/gaming and best battery conservation for when I'm on the go that I can set up next week when it lands I would be greatly appreciative :51_002:

Hey guys I'm sure you've already seen it but I've had quite a few problems with my rig since receiving it. One question I have is do you think a bad bios(not corrupted but bad flash in some way) could cause a computer to not fully boot and act very very jittery including ocassionally not even recognizing a perfect HDD? Unless my mobo/chipset/cpu is bad that's the only other thing I can think. Dell is sending out a HDD/Ram/Mobo/SATA Cable but it won't be here until Tuesday and would like to actually use my machine lol.

It's not even into post, it's after the "Starting Windows..." screen. Strange part is it's not even really a lock, it goes to a black screen with a movable cursor but absolutely nothing else. Then at other times it will actually boot fine, then other times the HDD doesn't show up in the system in any way. I've done 3-4 complete reinstalls with different Windows disks just in case it was a corrupt file on the disk to no avail. The HDD that shows up as not being there shows up just fine in perfect health when in the second slot of my R3, I know it's not the RAM as I tested that in my R3 and using the Dell diagnostic tool as well. I think it comes down to the mobo, chipset, cpu, or bios. I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas?

Edit: Worst part is I can't even seem to find a way to test the bios idea out by reflashing a different bios as the damn thing won't boot into windows and the Dell files won't flash in DOS for some dumb reason. I want to leave flashing the modded Bios as a last resort.

Everybody cross your fingers, toes, and anything else you have to cross lol. I finally got to Windows to flash Bios A01 after an eternity of reboots to actually get there and it seems to be working just fine again, I wonder if it was a bad flash or if there's something wrong with A03?

Edit: Scratch that idea it's still not working, I think I'm gonna flash the test bios as the mobo's probably gone anyways, at least that way you guys should be able to see the options.

Edited by DaneGRClose
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's all good, honestly after the amount of rigs I've had from Alienware I honestly expect it. It's pathetic but all but one of the Alienware's I've owned(m11xr1, m11xr2, m14x, m15x, m17xr1, m17xr2, m17xr3) have had major issues hiding in them when I bought them, then I call Dell on it and wait for their tech to screw something up then end up getting a nicely upgraded brand new rig from them that typically works. It's an absolute joke but I've gone that route with everything but the M15x which still had a bad gpu but I got a godsend of a gpu next. Really it comes down to buy a cheap stripped rig, prove to a few techs and tech managers that they're dumb as sheet then get a brand new fully rocked rig in return. :34_002:

Guest bifnewman
It's all good, honestly after the amount of rigs I've had from Alienware I honestly expect it. It's pathetic but all but one of the Alienware's I've owned(m11xr1, m11xr2, m14x, m15x, m17xr1, m17xr2, m17xr3) have had major issues hiding in them when I bought them, then I call Dell on it and wait for their tech to screw something up then end up getting a nicely upgraded brand new rig from them that typically works. It's an absolute joke but I've gone that route with everything but the M15x which still had a bad gpu but I got a godsend of a gpu next. Really it comes down to buy a cheap stripped rig, prove to a few techs and tech managers that they're dumb as sheet then get a brand new fully rocked rig in return. :34_002:

Lol this is so true... It's actually hilarious but this kind of shit gets old. Saves a shit load of money at the same time.