Bricked g751JT

dean007

Please help. I updated the bios on asus g751JT from 205 to 206 and it turned off for some reason while erasing the bios. I need to recover somehow. No post. hdd lights and charger lights as well as dvd rom work. I am on deployment in kuwait and can't rma it. Laptop is only source of entertainment. Please help

Please help. I updated the bios on asus g751JT from 205 to 206 and it turned off for some reason while erasing the bios. I need to recover somehow. No post. hdd lights and charger lights as well as dvd rom work. I am on deployment in kuwait and can't rma it. Laptop is only source of entertainment. Please help

You might want to post on the ROG forum for that

http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-G501-Gaming-Notebooks

I know on their desktop motherboards, ASUS generally has a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash (my motherboard actually has a button that all I do is put the BIOS on a USB card, stick it in a USB port and hold down that button) but I don't know about their notebooks. Looking at the manual for the system, it mentions nothing about recovering from a failed flash so you may have to contact ASUS and RMA it.

Edit: I did some research and unfortunately bad BIOS flashes require an RMA to get the chip reprogrammed by ASUS. They have no failsafe. If you were using the windows utility, it appears that if you do it from an NTFS partition it will almost always brick and the recommendation is to do it directly from the BIOS screen with a FAT32 USB drive. Wish I had better news for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You might want to post on the ROG forum for that

http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-G501-Gaming-Notebooks

I know on their desktop motherboards, ASUS generally has a way to recover from a bad BIOS flash (my motherboard actually has a button that all I do is put the BIOS on a USB card, stick it in a USB port and hold down that button) but I don't know about their notebooks. Looking at the manual for the system, it mentions nothing about recovering from a failed flash so you may have to contact ASUS and RMA it.

Edit: I did some research and unfortunately bad BIOS flashes require an RMA to get the chip reprogrammed by ASUS. They have no failsafe. If you were using the windows utility, it appears that if you do it from an NTFS partition it will almost always brick and the recommendation is to do it directly from the BIOS screen with a FAT32 USB drive. Wish I had better news for you.

Oh well. This is actually second laptop I had it happen to, I thought it was one time thing. Hell no! I am sending it for rma tomorrow. Problem is that I'm far and won't get it back for like a month. next time in buying sager. Tired of asus garbage. Thank you for your research friend. Hopefully they don't see that my gpu 970m running 1458mghz core and 6Ghz memory lol

depends how u implemented the gpu oc :) if it was just a software solution like nvidia inspector/msi afterburner etc and its not set to boot with the system then u should be fine. if, however, u set those clocks in the vbios of the card then theyll definitely notice them :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

depends how u implemented the gpu oc :) if it was just a software solution like nvidia inspector/msi afterburner etc and its not set to boot with the system then u should be fine. if, however, u set those clocks in the vbios of the card then theyll definitely notice them :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's gpu tweak. However the vbios is unlocked

Oh well. This is actually second laptop I had it happen to, I thought it was one time thing. Hell no! I am sending it for rma tomorrow. Problem is that I'm far and won't get it back for like a month. next time in buying sager. Tired of asus garbage. Thank you for your research friend. Hopefully they don't see that my gpu 970m running 1458mghz core and 6Ghz memory lol

Yeah I can't believe that they don't have a failsafe. It appears to be a problem that has plagued their machines since at least 2011 from what I saw on the forums and its not uncommon at all.

As for your overclock, they'll probably notice if the reprogramming of the system BIOS doesn't fix the issue (clocks that high you must be using modded vbios, right?) but it seems like since this happens so often they rush the fix and get the machine back to you. It wouldn't at all surprise me if they just pull the chip out, reprogram it, stick it back in and verify it POSTs and then send it back without further investigation.

So stupid to not have a failsafe...

• 1 month later...