Review: E-Win Champion Series Gaming Chair Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
eleven

Benq XL2411Z: Achieving 144hz refresh rate on Macbook Pro in Bootcamp?

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the wrong forum or maybe this is a combination of two forum topics (eGPUs and displays) but here it goes:

Basically I wanted a external monitor to run on my 15'' mid 2014 macbook pro (no integrated graphics, only iris pro 5200) because I am in the works of making an eGPU for it. I decided to go with the Benq XL2411Z because it seemed like a well rounded monitor and it had a 144hz refresh rate.

Now that I've started using it, I have been unsuccessful in achieving anything higher than 60hz. I've been told that if you are running OSX that it is impossible because that is a limit set by apple; however, I have seen people say that they are able to get the 144hz on Windows. So far I have had no such success. I had a HDMI cable connected, then read that in some cases HDMI will not be able to achieve 144hz. So I tried a DVI cable via the mini display-port to DVI adapter, but that did not solve the problem either.

A lot of people on other forums have mentioned that they are able to fix this by simply opening their Nvidia control center; however, because I don't have dedicated graphics, all I have is the 'intel integrated control center' which isn't very helpful. The graphics card I am planning on attaching is the evga gtx 960 so I will have to download the drivers for that later (once I get all my parts) but I was wondering if I am missing something here?

tl;dr: 1) Do I need a DVI cable to get 144hz or can I achieve 144hz through HDMI? 2) Is it possible to get 144hz without having nivida control center?

Thanks!

Nvm I managed to figure it out. I needed to have a mini display port to dual dvi because the single dvi-d was not sufficient for 144hz. No nvidia control center required. After plugging in the dual dvi adaptor the 144hz option popped up. The screen is suddenly brighter though...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By popozitos
      Hello everyone
      I created a case for egpu using 2.5mm acrylic sheets. The first time I created a case to support a GPU + ATX psu
      Now I created another one for the GPU with an external Xbox 360 203w psu.
      the finish was not good but for my use it is already good.

*both cases album
      *Construction of the second case 
      *adapting xbox psu to 8pin power (taken from 24pin)

all made by hand with the tools I had.

from Brazil.

• By Consumerofmulch
      Hello!

I have recently acquired my Dell Inspiron 15 7000, and I am interested in building an egpu setup for it. It has a USB-C port. Any recommendations/guides out there?

thanks.
    • By Sparkhunter
      Hi there guys,

I've been looking into getting a new GPU for my laptop (4-lane PCI-e) and enclosure (HP Omen Enclosure) but I cannot decided between the RX 5700 XT and the RTX 2070 (non SUPER).

I did some price to performance calculations (higher is better) with some of the best prices I can currently get in the UK.

The RX 5700 XT does perform better and is cheaper than the RTX 2070 (Although the 2070 does come with 2 games) but my main concern is drivers and from what I've heard NVIDIA cards work a lot better with eGPUs than AMD.

If anyone has experience using both red & green or if anyone else has any other input i'd love to hear your experiences and input.

Thanks.

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T450s.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or already upgraded Display and after that can't adjust screen brightness, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt

https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ

How to use it:

Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.

• By Blocker35
      Hi guys, bit of a rookie to the whole EGPU scene. Currently I have:

- MacBook Pro 2015 13inch (3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM)
      - Razer X Core 
      - Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter
      -  TB2 Cable (Cable Matters)
      - 23inch AOC External Monitor

I am wonder about what graphics card to get to run X-Plane11 with high graphic settings?
      I have purgewrangler set up and ready to use with an AMD graphics card, but am also open to the idea of an Nvidia graphics card.
      Any advice appreciated. I did not buy a Windows PC as I need a Mac for various other things and wanted an all-in-one laptop.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.