M17X-R2 MR 5870 mod to 6870M with OverDrive Support

6870OD1.1v.rom.zipAfter i tried to mod my 5870's to FirePro M ended up with a different project, however i not given up just jet...

But the project revealed something for me so i thought why not give it a try????

So here i ended up

AMD 6870M CrossfireX with a fancy Overdrive Support in it 860/1200Mhz at 1.05v

Used different methods to unlock that, (BAGZZlash's RBE ) and HexWorkshop v6 to peace it together...

New ver 2 oc'd 800/1100Mhz 1.1v OD up to 860/1200Mhz 1.1v

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1810[/ATTACH]

post-357-14494988435423_thumb.jpg

Here if you need it, or want to give it a try...:44_002:

Edited by AssimilatorX
Ver 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hehe, very nice! Any performance improvement with this, or is everything the same and it just shows up as a different model?

I once read about how to activate overdrive support in a VBIOS, but never tried it myself.

Just testing for now is looks stable... Performance increase depend from driver thought. 11.7, not sure worth it i got many rendering problem with Dragon Age II is too jumpy. however crysis 2 runs better... Think going back to 11.6 and test further. wait for 11.8 ...May end up buying a couple of 6970's LOL. Overdrive is worth it, since i activated OD my gpu fans runing at full speed :D so my gpu' are much colder now LOL

So 6870M VBIOS on an actual 5870M card? Sounds interesting...wonder if it fixes the M15x fan issue...

Yes it is right, 6870M actually a rebranded MR5870 with lower clock speed. So correcting 6870M (is only a VBIOS) on an actual 5870M card...

AMD Radeon HD 6870M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

You can try my bios or send me yours to mod. it may help. My vbios date is 06/01/10

@AssimilatorX Nice mod dude! :) Did you notice any difference with regards to stability at higher clocks at or around the same voltage on this bios? I just would like to know if the 6870M Bios allows for more oc potential or is it the same as the old one.

Max i able to get is 870/1250Mhz @ 1.15v but is incredible hot, stable @ 850/1200Mhz @ 1.11v. (locks-up the GPU after a few hour of play) Or wth standard (M17X) cooling the best heat/performance is @ 830/1150Mhz @ 1.1v Only problem is the heatsink unit unable dissipate that much heat....

Be honestly is all just experiment,and i dont wan't to kill my GPU's before due time so stick @ 800/1100Mhz @1.1

So you have the fans at full speed now? The EC doesn't control them?

@ some point is have control but they are around 2000Rpm if i play they crank-up the speed. (if you remember when you boot, as soon win loads the driver ,fans are go silent ~1000Rpm) in my case they stady ~2000Rpm

• Founder

What I have found from my tests so far is that overclocking with the OverDrive from within CCC is not as stable as flashing vbios with the clocks you want, for instance furmark is crashing with OD while with the flash and the same clocks I am perfectly stable. Plus, the latest version of Trixx allows you to change the voltage as well, so I might stop flashing the vbios too and stick with the Trixx program.

• Founder

hmmm I could give you mine but I am not on my laptop where I have it saved, once I have access to it I will upload it. On a side note, why don't you use Trixx and you bother with flashing the VBIOS? The latest version allows you to adjust the voltage as well so you should give it a try.

Sapphire Technology - TriXX Tweak Utility

problem is it doesnt work. i cant flash it somehow. keeps giving me rom error using atiflash

What does it say? I guess you simply need to force the flash since some hardware IDs of the 6870m will be different than the ones from your current card. Use this command:

atiflash -f -p 0 filename.extension

(for example atiflash -f -p 0 vbios.rom)