Microsoft wants to bridge PC gaming with Xbone

Brian

• Founder

So MS's ultimate goal right now is to bridge Windows 10 with their Xbox One via Xbox Live and game interplay. What this means is they want universal apps that run on phones, tablets, pc and xbone (lowest common denominator approach) and also intend to do that with games. Again, when you have cross platform games like that, you are looking at a mass dumbing down of games. This shows Microsoft doesn't care at all about PC gaming, it just wants to prop up it's shit box and tablet sales while sacrificing high end PC gaming on the altar like it's been doing for years. Just all the more reason we need Valve to succeed with GLNext + Linux gaming alternatives. But the key is for PC gaming publishers to come on board and I don't know if they necessarily will with Microsoft having so much sway and publishers looking to make bundles of money from cross platform games.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/microsoft-outlines-plan-bridge-xbox-pc-video-gaming-033532212.html#comments

• 4 weeks later...

• Global unit sales of video game consoles 2008-2014 | Statistic

Looking at the unimpressive sales numbers for the Xbone vs the 360 and the general downward trend of console sales in general it seems natural for Microsoft to want to integrate their gaming console into the overall Windows software ecosystem. That said I definitely don't see Xbone/Windows integration pulling consumers away from buying mobile games on iOS/Android or PC games on Steam, especially with the nightmarish experiences of dealing with GFWL still fresh in most PC gamers' minds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
To me, it looks like the intergration might just be an excuse to push xbox gaming to pc and force xboxlive just like GFWL but keep it hidden behind a paywall.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of and I think even Valve realizes that MS's plan is a threat to PC gaming as we know it. They will probably try to create an incentive for devs to put their titles on Xbox Live for PC under the guise of PC players getting multiplay and other features for free. Once it gets a foothold, MS will probably hoist a pay service on us just like their console.

It seems like all systems are moving toward open-source honestly. Microsoft probably sees the big picture, the research/studies that we don't see. Very soon it's going to be at the point where small start-ups will be producing more and more custom open-source gaming systems, and proprietary consoles are going to be losing out. It might be a smart move for Microsoft if they can pull it off. I'm already a PC-gamer paying for Xbox live, so I'm looking forward to it.

With everything Microsoft has hamfisted with the Xbone I seriously doubt this will be anywhere as good as they promise.

Just look at thwta happened when the CEO said Windows 10 would be available to everyone, even pirates. Their legal team instantly went into more detail on what that means and how pirates won't actually get windows 10 and how the "free" upgrade process will work for most people. (i.e. it won't be free for a lot of people that think it will be)

While their implementation tends to be poor; it's hard to argue with their vision.

If we focus on just the tech, the goal of a consistent / unified experience across the three screens where you are able to use the same apps with your data and favorites is awesome.

It's what google does with chrome, letting you log in for everywhere and then migrating your settings / favorites / plugins to ensure that you're using chrome the way you want to be using it. I would love to not search for random apps on my phone, to accomplish something that I can already do on my computer. Although I do admit that my usage of xbox apps is really centered around those that stream.

Anyhow, I think the scary thing is how quickly the terms of use could change. IF (big if) they are able to deliver on that experience; and they get a fair number of users living in their world...suddenly thoughts of elevated subscription fees + ads + other marketing opportunities (using all this data that they are collecting on you) start to enter the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats why: SteamOS

Even we can build own consoles with this new thing: SteamOS

And there is steam machines start from 399$ to over 5000$: Steam Machines

And what i mean there... Steam already rules pc gaming right now and microsoft scare about it. But no way to microsoft can pass steam with this mentality. Long live Lord Gaben :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For as much as I like Microsoft, I fail to understand what they want to achieve with this integration.

Xbox One DVR function is far behind the competitors and I don't think achievements and xbox app would make a huge impact on the gamimg community.

For as much as I like Microsoft, I fail to understand what they want to achieve with this integration.

Xbox One DVR function is far behind the competitors and I don't think achievements and xbox app would make a huge impact on the gamimg community.

Well if they bridge the gap between console players and PC players, then it's more likely for the console gamers to be able to play with their friends who don't have an xbox one.

Then the Elite Controller (Priced at a steep $150) is offering more precision to xbox gamers, even if it doesn't offer the same customization capabilities as the mouse+ keyboard combo.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, this puts microsoft at an advantage because more games will be bought in order to play with xbox one instead of the PS4.

If Steam Machines will be worth of their price (i mean they will be like computers builded by yourselves, when u buy everything by cheapest price and no one take high "taxes" for completing you computer) Steam can rule gaming world.

If Steam Machines will be worth of their price (i mean they will be like computers builded by yourselves, when u buy everything by cheapest price and no one take high "taxes" for completing you computer) Steam can rule gaming world.

The only issue with this is that the steam machines will never be as good of a value as building your own computer.

Take the Alienware steam machine for example. The price starts at $449.99, but the components used could probably be had for something near $250-300. You are paying for the convenience as well as the name.

The only issue with this is that the steam machines will never be as good of a value as building your own computer.

Take the Alienware steam machine for example. The price starts at $449.99, but the components used could probably be had for something near $250-300. You are paying for the convenience as well as the name.

Honestly though, all some people want is to be able to buy a decently good machine and play games on it without too much user intervention. This whole steam box thing looks very promissing for getting people into PC gaming.