Clevo P650SE Owners- My aims of Prema Mod

Hi,

My Clevo P650SE is due to arrive today (specs: 1080p IPS AUO B156HAN01.2, 4720MQ, 3GB 970M, 1x8GB 1600Mhz, 128GB M.2 SSD X110, 1TB 5400RPM). I would have liked the 2/4k screen- but didn't want to reduce the battery life any more (this is a priority for me).

My reasons for buying

• Portablitiy
  • Power/gaming
  • Expandable memory (RAM & Hard drives)
  • Looks
  • Screen size (previously owned the W230SS, but found 13.3" uncomfortable/small)

My premise- I need power when I'm plugged in (gaming) and just need more hours of batterylife when I'm not plugged in (I don't game on-the-go).

In order of importance- here are my reasons for being here/using the PremaMod)

• Unleashing/free'ing my laptop :)
  • Maximize battery life
  • Dual OS (Win 8.1 & Mac OSX Yosemite)
  • Maybe- overclock my 970M (to 980M standards) but I may need a bigger power supply?

If anyone has questions about the laptop, I'm very happy to answer.

Does anyone have any advice on what I'm trying to achieve?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

My Clevo P650SE is due to arrive today (specs: 1080p IPS AUO B156HAN01.2, 4720MQ, 3GB 970M, 1x8GB 1600Mhz, 128GB M.2 SSD X110, 1TB 5400RPM). I would have liked the 2/4k screen- but didn't want to reduce the battery life any more (this is a priority for me).

My reasons for buying

• Portablitiy
  • Power/gaming
  • Expandable memory (RAM & Hard drives)
  • Looks
  • Screen size (previously owned the W230SS, but found 13.3" uncomfortable/small)

My premise- I need power when I'm plugged in (gaming) and just need more hours of batterylife when I'm not plugged in (I don't game on-the-go).

In order of importance- here are my reasons for being here/using the PremaMod)

• Unleashing/free'ing my laptop :)
  • Maximize battery life
  • Dual OS (Win 8.1 & Mac OSX Yosemite)
  • Maybe- overclock my 970M (to 980M standards) but I may need a bigger power supply?

If anyone has questions about the laptop, I'm very happy to answer.

Does anyone have any advice on what I'm trying to achieve?

As someone with a similar objective (I have a similar build except I don't have a SSD in general and my HDD is a 500 gig Hitachi TravelStar 7 mm 7200 RPM drive), I would like to know how your temperatures doing various benchmarks (I've only tested Intel XTU so far) and I would be curious how your temps are. I doubt you have a kill-a-watt to check for how much watts are being pressed on Furmark+Prime95, but most people wouldn't do that test anyway since it gets abnormally hot.

• 2 months later...

I am also Loving my clevo, I have the P650SG which has the 980m instead of the 970m. I would be curious to know your temps as well. I know my laptop is slightly thicker to accommodate the 980m. GPU is around 75-80 when im gaming, I have yet to monitor the cpu as the fan for that side of the laptop is barely running so I figured its not being really taxed much.

Hi I have just ordered my P650SE with M.2 MX200 and 1tb HDD and 16gb 1866 ram. I'm trying to work out what the Prema mod is and if there is a way to overclock 970 but its not clear. I've searched threads but nothing? Any help is appreciated.

It'll give you a ton of extra BIOS options (incl RAM and CPU overclock), latest BIOS modules and unlock your GPU to overclock and overvolt with software like nvidia inspector or EVGA Precision.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Basically you would like to be able to undervolt/ underclock  your laptop for longer battery life, and overclock when plugged in for performance...

Sounds sweet, but does that mean that you would have to tweak BIOS setting all the time?

@ Prema : would there be any possibility of saving  2 sets of BIOS tweaks and just loading them when needed? like a sort of save/load config menu in BIOS?