Alienfx and lightpack, Ambilighting for alienfx

Nospheratu

Not sure if you guys know of this app that ejohnson from the NBR forums found on some russian site. It changes the AlienFX lights colour to match whatever is on your screen. It calculates the average colour that is shown on your screen and sends that colour to the alienFX controller to display.

I've tried it and it works on my M17x R2 except for the power button and alienhead on the lid. Very interesting especially if you have alternating wallpapers with different colours :D Its a bit too distracting if you're watching a movie or playing a game though. Although it will should work well with say a fullscreen visualisation on your fave music player ;)

theHelios also from NBR set it up for us Alienware users and can be downloaded from his private dropbox below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1089880/Lightpack AlienFX.zip

To see it in action check it on youtube

The original thread can be found here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw that but the main thing keeping me from trying it is the lag (as svl7 mentioned) and the fact that it will display "black" if the overall screen color is determined to be black.

It should be changed so that if the overall screen color is determined to be black then the fx colors should be a muted white or grey or ???????? something other than black.

Just my opinion

D.

Yeah there is lag but there's options that are configurable including response time, areas of the screen to capture, etc. I just went through the config briefly and haven't used it since but I'm sure it can be tweaked. Its just an exe, so no install required. Nice to have but only useful at a party if your using your laptop for music with a visualization, but then again, there's also ingraters winamp plugin for that.