Anyone got a Fire Pro m6100 to OC and work on a Alienware x17m R2?

As the title states two questions, I have overclocked a k4000m on my R3 so I know this is a beast. -

1: Has anyone overclocked a Fire Pro m6100 yet?

2: Has anyone dropped it into an R2 yet since it a 75W card?

This is what I have found out about the m6100....

I think it will work. But it is not a fact. May have to tinker with the BIOS and drivers.

M6100 is a continuation 7970M Series

7970/8970/R9 M290S is the same video cards with a few changes.

M6100 is labeled as 8950M if install non FirePro drivers.

This is what I have found out about the m6100....

I think it will work. But it is not a fact. May have to tinker with the BIOS and drivers.

M6100 is a continuation 7970M Series

7970/8970/R9 M290S is the same video cards with a few changes.

M6100 is labeled as 8950M if install non FirePro drivers.

M6100 dose work with the R2, now just getting the drivers to install

Well after installing the drivers we saw the machine over towing the power supply, went to the R3 power supply and we able to run it for 20 minutes but was barely keeping the card cool with the heatsink. Thinking of modding the fan and buying a larger PS for the laptop. Any suggestions on how to keep this beast cool would be helpful.

Before overheating started the card could easily run "Stranded Deep at 1080p w/ultra setting." Going well over 45 to 60 fps. The Physics were par with my K4000m since Stranded Deep is insane we decided it would be a good test. The m6100 did show textures are a higher degree of quality against the former card the 5870.

But the one pain of this card is cooling it, any suggestions would be helpful.

We can confirm this uses more then 75w....More like 100 or more.

• 1 month later...

Can verify the m6100 dose work in a R3, no issues with 120mhz screens. It is a beast, runs *everything*. Runs FF14 with better numbers then the k4000m. This card is a glove fit for the R3 and if you don't mind only having two gigs of ram it stock core at 1100 mhz makes up for the texture room. Is by far the *best of breed* for the R3 with core speeds toppling the 780m gtx stock. I just wish there was a 4 gig 256-bit version of this Fire Pro then it would be in the field of 880/980 which my wife says as I quote "Is a pair of overpriced Honda Accords vs a Nissian Z 370" if it had the ram.

Nothing we have tossed at this card in real world gaming including the Heavensward FF14 benchmark has put this card any lower then "Very High" setting.

At about 200 to 300 bucks on Ebay, these are cards are an affordable upgrade for those on a budget. Haven't OC'ed one yet but of course haven't seen a need to either.

• 2 weeks later...
Great info, thanks. What about the R2? Is it working in there?

On the R2 it can simi-work (not with stock power supply). We saw throttling on Skyrim and you will need a 230watt power supply. This no 75 watt card, though the lowest might be 75 it a multi-stage voltage card. Not sure if the capasitors are weak on the R2 mobo and overheating the card or if the R2 can give this card the juice it needs on Skyrim. Was able to post, run, install drivers, and play all games with an R3 power supply. Played Stranded Deep like a champ, that an insane indy game. Suggest IC Diamond, Cool Lab Ultra and a 100 watt rated heat sink for this card. Other than that on an R3 it can be a plug and go card.

Correction, you will have to replace the star backet, the one it comes with sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:46 PM, arulin said:

On the R2 it can simi-work (not with stock power supply). We saw throttling on Skyrim and you will need a 230watt power supply. This no 75 watt card, though the lowest might be 75 it a multi-stage voltage card. Not sure if the capasitors are weak on the R2 mobo and overheating the card or if the R2 can give this card the juice it needs on Skyrim. Was able to post, run, install drivers, and play all games with an R3 power supply. Played Stranded Deep like a champ, that an insane indy game. Suggest IC Diamond, Cool Lab Ultra and a 100 watt rated heat sink for this card. Other than that on an R3 it can be a plug and go card.

Correction, you will have to replace the star backet, the one it comes with sucks.

Thanks for the information, anther question do you know is the brightness control works with de alienware m17x r2? or will stock to the maximun brightnees all the time? i also know i need  hwinfo to control the gpu fan and the 240w PSU

And what is the correct drivers to install ? hd8950 adrenalin-edition-18.5.1?