m18x - Teardown Guide (Quick and Dirty Edition)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
awesome reference!

just one small remark - on picture 5, no need to unscrew the 2 black headed screws.

Yeah you must mean the screws on the palm rest under hard drive... i found that unnecessary too. Great resource no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used aftermarket pads but temp difference depends how well factory paste and paste job was done as well as how good the selected aftermarket paste is if one was selected. Best bet test temps before so you have a reference to how it handled before. If you find temps not overly hot to begin with underload you are better off leaving well enough alone. I have had factory paste work wonders, right up with aftermarket so it depends. Alienware has been using pretty great stuff as of late... not what people like to have called toothpaste from back when :)

If the pads are in good condition and not torn up they are very much reusable.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...
  • Founder
Nice. watched a few vids too, but does the screen HAVE to be removed in order to take all the top and get to the CPU ??

Thanks,

Yup it's a pain but you get used to it after a few times.

• 4 months later...

Had a tech help me replace the motherboard today because the flimsy plastic arm holding the hdd cable broke off and guess what, I insert the cable and hdds were not detected so opened it back up and tried to reseat the cable and the damn thing broke off in the new motherboard. What kind of cheap plastic junk are they using? They had to send a new motherboard just because of that piece of plastic the first time so I guess I'll just forget about it. Luckily using some tweezers I was able to get the thing to barely hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my m18x CPU done today. This guide is nice but it didn't mention when the screen had to be removed. It has to be removed before the tray on top of the motherboard can be removed. This may be obvious, but it makes me nervous to deviate from instructions when my hand is being held. :) Using a guitar pick was a great idea, I bought a super thick one and it made it easy. Here's a pic of the mess I made:

Xn41IwH.jpg

Got done and no extra screws laying around! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thank for you great tutorial, i may hav to open mine, i worried that my GPU card has moved during travel, i travel a lot, and since the last departure my GPU is not detected anymore, maybe the GPU card move or something like that due to small frequent vibrations (rolling case in airport etc etc )?

Do you think this is something possible or that GPU are way too lock to move ?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not gonna deny it, but I've broken off some tabs from the keyboard bezel before. Luckily I have a plastic solvent/repair compound that forms a strong bond and allows for repairs to said tabs, but man. That is probably the ONLY reason I don't like taking apart the M18x, because of the tabs in the bezel and palm rest. I've had to have taken her apart like 6 times now. One time, on a really strained day, I kept forgetting screws every time I put it back together! Augh! >w<

• 11 months later...