EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Selenium

P170EM - Upgrading the GPU

I've been wondering lately whether this would be a good idea or not.

I'm not quite knowledgeable enough however to determine what the best GPU is compatibile with my machine. Forgive me for not knowing where to look! :P

So I'm asking here. I currently have an Nvidia GTX 675MX. And it's not bad, honestly. But I'm just wondering if there's another I could aim for later this year that'd be a significant upgrade.

Cheers.

And I gather anything 6 or 9 that has an M at the end of it, yeah? :P

I'll have to take a close look at the price and power of them.

I've been wondering lately whether this would be a good idea or not.

I'm not quite knowledgeable enough however to determine what the best GPU is compatibile with my machine. Forgive me for not knowing where to look! :P

So I'm asking here. I currently have an Nvidia GTX 675MX. And it's not bad, honestly. But I'm just wondering if there's another I could aim for later this year that'd be a significant upgrade.

Depends how much later this year. Right now only 6xxm and AMD 7970m work with no problems, while 7xxm 8xxm do not work at all, the 9xxm require a modded driver and the 980m can only work at 970m speed, however Prema is working on a mod that will make 7xxm, 8xxm and 9xxm work at full potential with standard drivers, so if you are willing to wait long enough you could go with any of the aforementioned cards, though no one knows how long you'd have to wait as there were no news of progress since ~2 months.

Anyways, as it is, if you don't want to get your hands dirty 680m and 7970m are your only options, while 970m offers the best performance out of all cards that work.

Currently in no hurry due to lack of funds anyway. :P But that sounds promising.

I'll keep my eye on the 970m for the moment then, but also check on Prema's mods for progress at times.

Cheers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pippocarlot
      Hello everyone! I am looking for an answer to a problem I cannot find a solution to ... I purchased an Amd wx 4150 MXM GPU module su e bay to upgrade my HP 8570W Mobile Workstation which is currently equipped with a Fire Pro M4000. Once the new GPU has been installed, the PC screen no longer turns on but works only with external monitors connected via the docking station. The same happens once the drivers are updated! If I put the old card back on, the integrated monitor starts working again ... How can I fix it?
    • By TheLoser1124
      Hello, A couple of days ago I got a new GPU but when I installed it into my computer I was unable to use it but now I know why. When checking the device manger I went into the events tab of my GPU when I went to view all events, I noticed an error it said " event 411 kernel PnP " and It also said Problem Status: 0xC01E0438. I believe this is why my GPU hasn't been working on my PC. If you know how to fix this problem or have info on how to fix this problem that would be greatly appreciated. I'm also using a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660.
    • By ajdrenter
      Hello all! I have been researching upgrade paths for my M17x R4 and I have decided on the GTX 1060. Now, I was given this laptop with a dead GPU, and I had an M17x R3 already. So I moved the GTX 560m into the R4 which has worked fine. Now as I understand it a few things are needed for this upgrade including the 120hz panel and the ability to disable the legacy ROM for a pure UEFI boot. I have the 120hz screen, but the 560m uses the GF116 architecture which does not have a vBIOS which supports GOP. So I am thinking the only solution is to buy a cheaper "in-between" card which supports both boot modes, which will allow me to disable the legacy option in setup. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what cheap card to buy as a transitional part? I have been considering a 765m but I am also wondering if there are any other good choices.
    • By depmixels
      hello everyone, I have a MSI GT683R with a dying (pretty much dead actually) GTX560M in it.

I am looking to upgrade it to a new GPU, I have found a AMD Firepro M6100. (I first wanted to upgrade to a GTX970M, but that's too expensive for now... and corona is also making things difficult) I have already ordered a second heatsink to modify because I didn't want to modify the original heatsink it came with.

But, my question is. Does it even work in this system? I have heard of people getting it to work in the barebone variant of this system. But I am not sure if it would work in the 'fully loaded' variant.

Also, my games are mostly RAM/CPU dependent and I am looking for a little extra power in this system. I have found a I7-2860qm and I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, is it possible on this system? the sticker says 'max. 16GB of RAM' But I have feeling it says that due to the limitation of the cpu that's already on this system (I7-2630QM, 16GB RAM max.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.