Nvidia 280.19 Driver

You can easily mod the .inf yourself for your system. You only need to add a couple of lines (subsys and vendor ID).

Edit: Let me know if you need help. Haven't done it in a while, but when I have the information of the card I should be able to mod you a .inf file.

Edited by svl7

Here's a modded .inf for the 1.5 GB version. I've seen that Dell has a different version for the 3GB card, so let me check whether there's a difference in the .inf file and if so then I'll mod it as well.

Hope I've done it correctly, it's been a while since I had a Nvidia GPU in my system.

Edit: Both drivers are the same, so this should work, let me know if it doesn't.

555m 1.5GB mod INF 280.19.zip

Edited by svl7

Hi, there is something wrong with the modded inf. I tried to make one myself and it ended up the same way as yours. With this inf you can install the drivers, but the GT 555 will not be used in Games or Benchmarks. You can test this easily by trying to open 3DMark 11. He tells you that no direct x 11 compatible hardware is found. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Sorry, I can't test it myself, I don't have an M14x... Did you try to completely uninstall all Nvidia software, reboot, use CCleaner for the registry and then install the drivers? Seems like something's corrupting the driver during installation.

I always choose "New Install", so he automatically uninstalles the old drivers. I try to uninstall it manually and use ccleaner to give it a try. Don't get me wrong, the installation works fine, and he also recognizes the Geforce 555, but when starting a game etc, he just uses the onboard grafic card. It seems like Optimus is not working correctly. (Even when you manually choose the 555 gt for the benchmarks).

I think that there is something missing in the modded inf. When I try to custom install 280.19, I can't select the HD Audio drivers as well as nView. On 275.50 however they are selectable.

//Edit//

Maybe the Grafic driver is just buggy.

Edited by Nekojin

The problem you have unless Nvidia has changed their graphics drivers structure with Optimus since I had my M11xR2 is that there's more that needs to be modded than just the inf file. There's actually 2-3 different files that need to be changed in order to work properly in that type of driver structure, it can get quite complicated and take quite a bit of work. I will take a look into it next week when mine lands if no one has done it yet.

I'm uploading some driver packages that I've modded, one with a driver signage mod and inf mod, one with driver signage/inf/optimus mods. I'll post links to them here once they're up. Just fair warning, they shouldn't cause any damage at all even if they don't work but they are both use at your own risk.

Here's a link to the first one if anyone wants to try it, as it's got a modded signing file it will probably give you a warning for the driver signature, if anyone has used modded drivers before it's fine to just continue through it. The signing is mainly just for WHQL status.

280.19_A.7z

And here's a link to the second one. Let me know if there's any issues or what you see when trying it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l59my5q6zm6dmr5

Edited by DaneGRClose
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey dane, thanks for the upload, it installed well once you put it in the proper directory. However i believe this driver is just plain buggy.

At a glance im seeing that my hardware no longer can play DX11 things like 3dmark11 or crysis 2. 3dmark11 states that My gpu only supports dx10.1.

I did some looking around on other forums and this seems to be a very common problem. At the moment i cant find a fix so im recomending m14x users avoid the 280.19 driver.

On a side note im seeing alot of people saying that it makes it so programs and games dont detect the dedicated GPU.