M17x R4, 7970m, 120hz Screen Upgrade Possible?

AngieAndretti

Has anyone with the AMD 7970m GPU successfully upgraded to an aftermarket 120hz screen? I know there's no 3d support but otherwise?

I've read the guide at 120Hz 3D Screen upgrade for Alienware 17 | NotebookReview and they point out that there would be no support for 3d which is not what I'm looking for anyway, and I know that Enduro must be disabled by setting display to PEG in BIOS, but the writer of the guide seems unsure whether it's otherwise possible for the 7970m to utilize the 120hz screen, stating that it requires testing.

There are also posts here mentioning at least two people bricking their systems by connecting the 120hz replacement screen. I assume the cause was that they did not use the N392W replacement video cable mentioned in the notebookreview guide, and just connected the new screen to their existing cable?

Has anyone here tried this combination (120hz LCD / 7970m) or know of any further references to it? Thanks guys!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...