Things looking worse for AMD than expected?

Brian

• Founder

So I was just looking around for some solid data on how the GPU industry is doing overall when I ran across this metric: • PC graphics boards add-in-board AIB supplier's market share 2010-2014 | Statistic

post-5-14494999519538_thumb.jpg

See that sharp decline in Q3 2014? Now that's before Q4 2014 sales have been factored in so I'd imagine they lost even MORE marketshare since then and well I'd be right because according to John Peddie research, this is what the AIB market looked like as of Q4 2014:

post-5-14494999519777_thumb.jpg

Source: Add-in board market down in Q4, Nvidia increases market share lead - Comments - Press Releases

OUCH! And keep in mind the biggest growth market right now is mobile graphics (not laptops but phones/tablets) where AMD has no presence at all. Even NVIDIA barely scrapes a 1% share with Qualcomm being the giant but John Peddie did say, "The upcoming SoC suppliers with impressive design wins to their credit are Intel (proprietary GPU) and Nvidia (proprietary GPU). Qualcomm however, is the giant in the industry."

post-5-14494999519935_thumb.png

The sad thing is that AMD's poor leadership let Qualcomm grow so huge. If they hadn't sold their Radeon patents, Qualcomm wouldn't have propelled to such epic proportions without Adreno (anagram of Radeon). So at least NVIDIA has their foot in the door even if Tegra failed to capture the smartphone market like NVIDIA wanted. They're making inroads in the automotive and tablet market. The biggest giant to watch out for is of course Intel as they will use their fab lead + piles of money to capture market share but with Samsung now supplying fab space to NVIDIA, that shouldn't be as big of a deal as before. When it comes to mobile GPU technology, NVIDIA buries Intel and the rest so with Samsung fabs, they could really start making an impact later in 2016.