Protosouls

Alienware 17 780m Display driver crashing

Hello, I have slv7's Vbios installed. I've had it installed for a while (months) and have had no problems. Recently within the past 3 days every time I start my computer, after everything boots up and loads about 30 seconds later the GPU fan ramps up all the way and the computer freezes and then the screen flashes and then comes back on and says my display driver has crashed after that happens everything runs normal for the rest of the time I have the computer running.

I'll upload the exact Vbios I'm using. I do NOT own it****

Nvidia GTX 780m - 'OC edition' - rev02.zip

Here are my specs - Alienware 17, i7 4800mq, gtx 780m, 16gb ram, 3d screen.

other possibly useful information - Driver I am running 347.52 (have tried other to correct the problem with no luck) I have messed around with nvidia inspector and MSI afterburner I have over clocked further that the Vbios does for a short period of time (but I ran an external fan while I overclocked)

Let me know If you need any other, Thanks!

Hello

did you overclock the GTX 780M?

If yes did you change the core voltage?

I would do an clean install of an older driver and look if that solve the issue.

Best regards

PS: Tutorial for clean driver install "http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2ha3q9/howto_fresh_driver_install_for_new_gpu_or_any/"

I did change the core voltage, I believe my power supply is powerful enough to do so.(I'll re install nvidia inspector and make sure I put it back to stock) I will also try a clean driver install and report back

Thanks.

Alright I just completed the clean install per the tutorial and the issue still occurs.

Edit: Just started the computer in safe mode and the issue did not occur so it only happens in the full version of windows. I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit by the way.

Thanks.

Okay so probably a vbios flash to the original vbios helps... did you use an older driver?

Do you have the possibility to test the card in an other notebook?

Best regards

Yes I tried a couple of older drivers, I have no way of testing the card in another machine but after running it in safe mode and having no problem it leads me to believe it must be software related. Is there a topic here that explains how to install the stock Vbios?

Thanks.

It's normal that you haven't any problems in Windows safe mode because the nvidia drivers will not be loaded during safe mode. Did you have any problems running windows in normal mode without any nvidia driver installed?

Best regards!

I'm not sure how to uninstall my graphics driver, I also don't think that would be a good idea because this laptop has no integrated graphics. The 3d screen I have runs at 120hz and the integrated graphics is not capable of running it. Therefor in safe mode the graphics card HAS to be running or the computer would display nothing.

Thanks for your help!

You dont need a integrated graphic card! The GTX 780M will show a picture with and without the nvidia driver.

The card is running during safe mode thats right but the nvidia driver won't be loaded from windows.

Best regards!

Okay, how do I uninstall my graphics drivers? while windows is running I get an error message when I try to uninstall them.

Thanks!

Hello

did you overclock the GTX 780M?

If yes did you change the core voltage?

I would do an clean install of an older driver and look if that solve the issue.

Best regards

PS: Tutorial for clean driver install "http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2ha3q9/howto_fresh_driver_install_for_new_gpu_or_any/"

Hey here is the tutorial on the sites i posted! :)

Well I Just got some sorta good news. Today after booting up the computer the fans spun and then the whole computer crashed and displayed this error (attached) So now I'm thinking it must be Intel related.... very strange....

post-29305-1449499952147_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Edit - it says: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Smb_driver_Intel.sys)

Wow thats very strange...

I would pm svl7 and ask him to test the card. Probably he will help you! I had a Problem with my GTX 680M a few months ago and he asked me if he may check the card for me because i didn't have another pc to test the card.

I read that this bluescreen could be graphics related too!

Best regards!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I installed the latest bios from Dell.com and re-installed my track pad drivers....... and BAM! It seem to be working normally now (fingers crossed)

Thanks again for all of your help!

Hi. I hate to ressurect this thread but I seem to be having a similar issue. I bought a 780m for my alienware 17 with vbios Rev 2 already flashed. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 and attempted to install the Nvidia driver. This is when the laptop hangs. I restarted and installed the drivers in safe mode. When I boot back up to Windows 10 normal it gets stuck on a black screen during boot. I can confirm that the 780m is detected in device manager but I can't get it to work. Please help! Thank you in advance.