Thoughts on Elder Scrolls Online (F2P next month)

KJerry421

Is anyone here going to be starting up ESO once it goes F2P? I bought the collectors edition back before it came out and honestly did not last a month ingame. The worse part about that is I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I'm just looking for peoples input on if its worth trying to put my time back into it once it goes F2p and will anyone here be joining?

Personally, I don't think so. I got an invite to the beta, played then, played a little after and was totally pumped in the beginning, but after a while, it just kind of got boring/not sure what to do. I played TERA/C9 before it and I think the biggest part was the combat and kind of how they did the dungeons.

I wouldn't recommend it. The framework is there for a great game, but it's just executed poorly. The lore is good, as always, but the style was never adapted for an MMO. It's as though the developers built a complete Elder Scrolls game as usual, and then slapped the multiplayer components on afterward. You're constantly told that you are "THE CHOSEN ONE," which has worked for Elder Scrolls in the past, but it loses its effect when you know that literally everyone you see around you is being told the same thing.

I've played the closed beta (or was it open beta? can't remember) and I found it pretty bland also. Doesn't feel much like the offline games of the series and combat feels lacking. There are a lot of fun MMOs to play nowadays, though most are paid and will probably stay so, unlike TESO who was doomed to be free-to-play from the start.

I also bought the Collector's Edition and played for only like a week or two. I think alot of it is that we are spoiled by "real" Elder Scrolls games actually made by Bethesda (whereas ESO is actually made by Zenimax). The combat on ESO is not as smooth or as fun. Using bow and arrow is hit and miss (pun intended) and just alot of weak combat mechanics. Crafting is one of the neat additions but never really seems to hit its stride. The big turn off for me was how that the dungeons are certain areas are sooo much harder than you are and therefore forces you to either aggro one at a time or team up. While I like MMO's (I have sunk countless days in WOW), I really don't play them for the multiplayer aspect. I like soloing. Just my 2 cents. I might come back once it's f2p just to see if they've improved any aspects. But no doubt they will go to micro-transactions to make up for no subscriptions in some form.

I think I might actually play it by myself or with my friends, not sure. I played it back in beta and it seemed interesting, but it didn't feel like a properly melded Elderscrolls MMO. Almost every new MMO plans to start off P2P and either stops in the development phase or soon after because they can't justify spending $15 - $20 or however much they make you spend each month with the amount of content they put out.

• 3 weeks later...

I think TES should never be taken online because of the heavy modding scene and how mods can change the behaviour of the game, making it something completely different for each individual gamer, not just the same thing for everyone, I also think that bethesda realized that one size does NOT fit all, and that is true of anything.

I've been playing it since the release but got bored a couple of months back, but now as it's F2P and some new content I might try it again.

But they should really do something about PVP (if the haven't already) as it's so extremly repetitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried it a little while ago, though its better than it was at launch, but it still doesnt have the pull for me, too many other great games, and this one just doesnt stand out to me. I might one day get back into this, but for now I think it will have to wait.

My first impression was "that's not Elder Scrolls". Sure, it may have the lore and the weapons, etc, but immersion is gone. It looks like they pasted TES low res textures over Guild Wars 2. I just didn't get into it. My brother plays it a lot and likes it, but it's just not the same in my opinion. If you're a fan of TES, you might be disappointed with TESO.

I've been debating on getting ESO or FF XIV for awhile now. I finally settled on FF XIV last night and its downloading now. However, I may wind up getting both because I like the world PVP that ESO offers. I just wish it wasn't faction based. I may wind up getting ESO too. There are a lot of good MMO's coming out this year!

• 3 weeks later...

ESO was never able to pull me in for more that about a month of on and off playtime. It eventually felt rushed and got boring really fast. There was something missing and I might fire it up again just to see if the new content has made any difference. But I don't think I will end up playing for too long. These days, I'm looking for a different type of online game, one that succeeds in getting me hooked to the story and characters more. So far, I haven't found it. Still looking and I'm open to suggestions.

I've always thought that ESO was something that looked promising, on paper at least, but couldn't live up to most people's expectations, mine included. Something about it, just feels off. Hopefully, it will get better overtime though (fingers crossed!)