Unlocking Overclocking Maxwell 900M Series

J95

So I received my card 02/13 and couldn't quite enjoy it yet, thanks to nvidia's arbitrary decision to block overclocking + nvflash UEFI OEM restricted. 120Hz/PEG AWs nvflash'ing 900M series - Legacy BIOS Mode

I've been testing this workaround extensively for 4 days and it seems stable, basically identical to the blank screen fix (it wasn't a waste of time after all...;)).

Windows 7/8.1

Run DDU/Safe mode - Clean and Shutdown
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing' (Win7 BCDEdit /set command not required -> F8 Boot options 'disable driver signing')
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Download (64-bit) GeForce 347.52 WHQL
  • Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvlddmkm.sy_, nvapi64.dl_ and nvapi.dl_
  • Display.Driver (Alienware) copy nv_dispi.inf_v347.52_ALienware other brands/aftermarket upgrades edit nv_dispi.inf using your Hardware IDs instead. Officially supported configurations just skip this step.
  • Extracted driver package -> run setup.exe -> reboot
  • NV Inspector -> set clocks
  • Keep posting against Nvidia's utterly stupid move GTX 900M Overclocking with 347.09, 347.25
    Enjoy!
    Safe to delete, just keep these...optionally, install GFE (buggy) from here
    post-3012-1449499946394_thumb.png
    *svl7* & *Johnksss* vBIOS MOD
    hNKSyf0h.png

nvlddmkm.sys_nvapi.dll_v346.87.zip

• Thumbs Up 4

Yep exactly. nvlddmkm.sys & nvapi.dll. But with better results.

Does this mean you've managed to keep the older driver cores but keep the new updates like MFAA/DSR (whenever that's released)/SLI profiles/game-specific driver updates? If so, then this is perfect. If not, then we might as well just use 344.75 until it reaches its end of life.

Does this mean you've managed to keep the older driver cores but keep the new updates like MFAA/DSR (whenever that's released)/SLI profiles/game-specific driver updates? If so, then this is perfect. If not, then we might as well just use 344.75 until it reaches its end of life.

Yes, updated game profiles nvdrsdb.bin (nvdrsdb0.bin/nvdrsdb1.bin) and MFAA too.

This driver mod performs better than any other driver I've tested, just delete all the folders except the ones shown above, delete or uncheck Miracast before installing then disable it under device manager.

Yes, updated game profiles nvdrsdb.bin (nvdrsdb0.bin/nvdrsdb1.bin) and MFAA too.

This driver mod performs better than any other driver I've tested, just delete all the folders except the ones shown above, delete or uncheck Miracast before installing then disable it under device manager.

What if you don't delete any folders? I've kept everything but GeForce Experience doesn't work.. Honestly, that's a massive no no.. Does GeForce experience work when you delete them like you did for you?

Edit: I had to uninstall and reinstall it.. Works now :D

Edit2: @J95, in NVIDIA Control pannel and GeForce Experience, it shows that I have 346.87 installed.. Only the GPU-Z shows 347.52... Is this what you get too?

• Thumbs Up 1

What if you don't delete any folders? I've kept everything but GeForce Experience doesn't work.. Honestly, that's a massive no no.. Does GeForce experience work when you delete them like you did for you?

Edit: I had to uninstall and reinstall it.. Works now :D

Edit2: @J95, in NVIDIA Control pannel and GeForce Experience, it shows that I have 346.87 installed.. Only the GPU-Z shows 347.52... Is this what you get too?

That's correct, due to nvlddmkm.sys being version 346.87.

post-3012-14494999501955_thumb.png

Let me quote Orbmu2k (The nVIDIA Inspector developer) on this:

Orbmu2k:

...putting the kernel mode driver module (nvlddmkm.sys) from the R346.87 driver into a newer/other driver package makes in fact this driver to a R346.87 driver mixed up with newer stuff around it, which will soon lead into serious problems as those components around has a lot of dependencies on the functionality of the kernel module. this might work for some versions these days, but there will come a driver soon where this will just crash.

Let me quote Orbmu2k (The VIDIA Inpsector developer) on this:

That would be my expectation as well. We are going to need a patch to those files for every driver release in the end.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's correct, due to nvlddmkm.sys being version 346.87.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14122[/ATTACH]

So clearly the problem is in this nvlddkm.sys file.... So for people focusing on finding what to fix, this is the file that needs to be compared.. Gonna try a bench and see if it's better with this driver compared to 344.91

Prema, have you had a look this file and tried anything? A lot of people were expecting you to be able to come up with a fix ;)

Lol everyone is on Prema. "Make us a new BIOS mod, fix this, why is this not working, fix nVidia's block" Give him some time haha. Poor Prema.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol everyone is on Prema. "Make us a new BIOS mod, fix this, why is this not working, fix nVidia's block" Give him some time haha. Poor Prema.

Well I'm not telling him to deliver it now... What I want to know is he doing something about it.. I don't mind waitng.. I just want to know if he's doing anything! :D

Prema, have you had a look this file and tried anything? A lot of people were expecting you to be able to come up with a fix ;)

We are patiently watching from the sidelines...giving NVIDIA a chance to do the right thing...if they don't we are prepared to act at the right moment... ;)

In the meantime, have a nice read: http://gamenab.net/

I'll clarify some stuff, I was able to figure this out due to the blank screen bug LGD02C5/780M, I've tried many DLLs combinations and nvlddmkm.sys, until I finally narrowed it down to nvlddmkm.sys and NVAPI matching version, the latter was to ensure stability and didn't break the unlocked vBIOS/780M OCing options. I sure hope someone will be able to mod the kernel mode driver module or even better firmware solution...;) including nvflash UEFI supported version...;) latest working nvflash/UEFI is v5.163 GK104 P2053 SKU 002 supported...

@TomJGX let's share those benchmark results, previous and current drivers, stock & unlocked vbios...;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll clarify some stuff, I was able to figure this out due to the blank screen bug LGD02C5/780M, I've tried many DLLs combinations and nvlddmkm.sys, until I finally narrowed it down to nvlddmkm.sys and NVAPI matching version, the latter was to ensure stability and didn't break the unlocked vBIOS/780M OCing options. I sure hope someone will be able to mod the kernel mode driver module or even better firmware solution...;) including nvflash UEFI supported version...;) latest working nvflash/UEFI is v5.163 GK104 P2053 SKU 002 supported...

@TomJGX let's share those benchmark results, previous and current drivers, stock & unlocked vbios...;)

Max OC with Core on 1438MHz and Memory at 1543MHz with 344.75: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

Max OC with Core on 1438MHz and Memory at 1553MHz with J95 modded 347.52: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

About a 200 increase in FS GPU score... Mostly due to the newer driver.. Also OC was more stable.. My PSU was tripping in FS GPU Test 2 so I probably need to get a new PSU :D

• Thumbs Up 2