Help. P150SM GTX 980m upgrade half successful.

SpeedyBoJangles

I have an early 2014 Clevo P150SM with BIOS version 1.03.04PM v2 and EC version 1.03.01 wich had a GTX 770m in it at purchase. It now has an 8GB GTX 980m and in the BIOS the VGA card shows up as "unknown". In Windows GPUz detects that I have a GM204 chip with 1536 cores, 64 rops, 1038-1127 MHz etc. but is missing some information and some information is displayed incorrectly.

post-24564-14494999452506_thumb.png

I have modified the .inf of 3 different driver versions and the installer detects my card is supported and starts the install but fails after about 1 minute in. (I tried disabling driver signing)

I have tried contacting system distributors like Mythlogic and Eurocom but they either said things along the line of "no comment" or just stopped replying. I would really like to know if there is anything I can do to get this working on my system, it would be awesome to be able to use the new Maxwell features. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking that it could be the vBIOS of that card that is causing issues, would flashing it to a different version help, maybe Prema's overclocking vBIOS? I don't really want to do this though unless I am sure it will work because I want to sell the card if I cant get it working and don't want to risk messing something up unless I know it could work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have posted on here before but the thread I was going to update (and all of my other posts) have vanished..... here is screenshot of an email notification of the original thread if it helps anyone figure out what happened to that thread.

post-24564-14494999452255_thumb.png

Here is the link to my post that was in the email, as you can see this is definitely NOT my post: What movies have you seen lately? - Page 34

We had a database crash in early January and lost almost everything that happened after 12th of December until early Jan.

Anyway, I'll make you a proper .inf. Mod...just first need my coffee. ;)

In the meantime grab this driver:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/344.75/344.75-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

EDIT:

Here you go, replace this file: https://mega.co.nz/#!yBEzxK5L!PF_dzfXbelu54OrMdlrUf9rXXJqbUu-6FETHt1CdN0A

(Boot with driver signature enforcement disabled. Made it for P15xSM & P17xSM)

Unfortunately that driver + nvcvi.inf does not allow me to even get past the system check step, I did boot Windows without driver signature enforcement. I reinstalled Windows 8 also (I needed to anyway, its been awhile) but that didn't help. I assumed that you needed to mod the nv_dispi.inf? That is what I did when trying driver versions 344.91 and 344.48 and it allowed me to get past the system check step but still fails during the install.

347 driver are useless peace of crap with their OC disabled...

Either the Windows is 32bit or its not a P15xSM...otherwise you may be doing something wrong while disabling signature check...

Post your hardware ID from device manager.

Hmmm something is a bit fishy here lol, I am definitely using 64 bit Windows and I definitely have a P150SM, its possible I am doing something wrong when disabling signature check but I have no idea how I could even screw that up.

Anyway here is my hardware ID "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_51061558&REV_A1\4&32F0FAC6&0&0008"

I will try those drivers to see if they will work at all, but as Prema said I do not want the 347 drivers because Nvidia has disabled 900m series overclocking in them.

Okay I managed to get it working by editing the .inf that you sent me originally with the device ID of my 980m, I noticed it was slightly different from the one that was already in there. Not sure why I wasn't able to get it working earlier. Either way thank you so much, I would not been able to do it without you.

Ive tested some games and everything is fine so far, I will do further testing though.

347 driver are useless peace of crap with their OC disabled...

Either the Windows is 32bit or its not a P15xSM...otherwise you may be doing something wrong while disabling signature check...

Post your hardware ID from device manager.

yes I am aware of that and I am very unhappy (read pissed) at nvidia for doing what they are doing but don't you state

By using an OC capable driver it loses 20% speed even on stock clocks, essentially crippling a GTX980Mto a GTX970M.

In your Mod thread? So wouldn't any gain from over-clocking be negated by this? Though I'm not sure how high they clock, as I am yet to try with mine. Its blazing fast for now.

So until you finish your mods wouldn't the modded 347 drivers I posted be the best bet?

Or does the bios on your site already fix the -20% speed loss when running the non 347 drivers even though they still require the inf mod?

yes I am aware of that and I am very unhappy (read pissed) at nvidia for doing what they are doing but don't you state

In your Mod thread? So wouldn't any gain from over-clocking be negated by this? Though I'm not sure how high they clock.

So until you finish your mods wouldn't the modded 347 drivers I posted be the best bet?

Or does the bios on your site already fix the -20% speed loss even though they still require the inf mod?

AFAIK the 20% loss by using OCable driver doesn't affect SM series, only EM. But to be 100% on this someone may want to test it on SM.

(i.e with stock vBIOS and on stock clocks compare a 3D11 bench made with 344.75 and 347.xx driver).

AFAIK the 20% loss by using OCable driver doesn't affect SM series, only EM. But to be 100% on this someone may want to test it on SM.

(i.e with stock vBIOS and on stock clocks compare a 3D11 bench made with 344.75 and 374.xx driver).

Right sorry, somehow had it in my head he had an em.

Could you answer my other questions though? :04:

Specifically the one about the 980m bios on your site, the em series and the 347 driver?

Quite happy to go back to the o/c capable driver and not lose the 20%

Without Mod you will loose 20% on EM (i.e. get GTX970M results from a GTX980M) and overclocking it won't help to compensate as it'll throttle even more.

As you may have probably never noticed your CPU will also throttle on stock BIOS and IV-refresh CPUs won't even have Turbo at all (all fixed by the mod, too).

Without Mod you can only use the non-oc capable 374.xx driver to get at least stock results from a GTX9 GPU.

Yes I agree with you Toopy. :36_002:

I got the GTX980M working at full speed on my P170EM using the 347.12 driver and got great benchmark scores on 3DMark. At this stage I'm happy that I haven't wasted my money, I will look at OC later when the BIOS is sorted out.

Cheers

Without Mod you will loose 20% on EM (i.e. get GTX970M results from a GTX980M) and overclocking it won't help to compensate as it'll throttle even more.

As you may have probably never noticed your CPU will also throttle on stock BIOS and IV-refresh CPUS won't even have Turbo at all (all fixed by the mod, too).

Without Mod you can only use the non-oc capable 374.xx driver to get at least stock results from a GTX9 GPU.

Haven't noticed the CPU throttle at all, but have been running your system bios since the first release :36_002:

Running your 1t sbios since you posted it too, and I definitely thank you for your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a P150SM with a GTX970M using a custom inf. Is it possible to modify the system bios so that we no longer require inf mods ? .. I have no idea how to even begin modifying a bios.

Thinking of upgrading a newer laptop but can't until I sell my P150SM.. I had it listed on eBay a few times but no takers because of the custom INF.. Unfortunately the GTX970 replaced my 780 as it died so can't reinstall that for selling.

Any info would be great.. I know its my first post and a big ask but there is no other way for me to go about it. Happy to donate after its sold, or before but would be less as it took me months to save up ready to replace this.

Cheers

David

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the exact issue as SpeedyBoJangles.  I recently purchased a Sager NP9150 which was upgraded from the 670M to a 970M :super:.  Problem is that I tried modifying the .inf of the 361.43 driver and the 359.06 driver and the installer detects my card but fails the install after about 30 seconds. I tried disabling driver signing, and Eurocom just gave me the runaround.  That leaves me currently stuck on Eurocomm's modded 358.50 driver from last October, and I'd like to be able to run the latest drivers.  I'm Prema Mod Bios 1.02.17 PM and the EC is 1.02.11 PM.  Could you assist?