P180HM - what's the best/newest graphics card I can drop in?

bvermeul

Hey all,

I have an old P180HM I bought in 2011 that I can play with. What's the fastest graphics card(s) I can drop in there?

It currently has 2 x GTX 560M in SLI, a i7-26?? CPU (2.2 GHz max I believe) and 24 GB of RAM in it.

I'm fine with the CPU, but wouldn't mind looking at different GPU's if I can get them somewhat cheap.

What's the newest/fastest cards I can drop in without major changes to the cooling system?

Thanks for any advice.

i cant realy tell you,

but the 7970m should be working, also 680m should work. depends on the money you want to spent or if i prefer a manufactor.

anyways you will have to get contact with a bios/vbios modder here, as i think you might have to flash a new bios to your machine.

it could be possible that clevo 7970m and 680m could be working right away.

is newer cards would work i cant tell, culd be that the 970m would be a good bang for the buck, as the price of the 980m is way to high for a laptop as old as yours.

nvidia is also releasing a 965m also with maxwell core, depending on the prie this card could alos be interesting and is very easy to cool

cheers

Hi,

I'm running a 2011 P150HMx, i7-2920xm, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD with the original GeForce 485M GTX.

Keen to upgrade the GPU but from what i've seen the P150HM only supports up to the Geforce 680M or AMD 7970M.

Has anyone tried putting a 980M or 970M into a P150HM? They seem to have the same spec (MXM 2.0B), and the same max power requirement as the 485M (100Watts).

Thanks!

GTX7/8 and 9 cards don't work @ stock conditions...GTX680M is the last one that does and only with vBIOS v27.

I have a P170HM3 with a broken mobo which I need to fix first in order to continue working on this...

Cool thanks for the info Prema. When you say they don't work @ stock conditions, do you mean because of clock speeds/voltage etc or is the only issue the bios?

I'd be happy to give it a go on mine, seems worth a try rather than the modest upgrade to 680M.

Cool thanks for the info Prema. When you say they don't work @ stock conditions, do you mean because of clock speeds/voltage etc or is the only issue the bios?

I'd be happy to give it a go on mine, seems worth a try rather than the modest upgrade to 680M.

You would get stuck even before the BIOS loads...not even getting to the choice to boot from anything.

@JB well the P170HM3 was Clevos last single GPU 3D model as the P170EM3 was canceled early in development.

So would be nice to show them a "P170HM3 running GTX980M @ 1500Mhz in 3D" into their face! :D

• 1 month later...
You would get stuck even before the BIOS loads...not even getting to the choice to boot from anything.

@JB well the P170HM3 was Clevos last single GPU 3D model as the P170EM3 was canceled early in development.

So would be nice to show them a "P170HM3 running GTX980M @ 1500Mhz in 3D" into their face! :D

What would it take to get you working on this? I assume its not just a cash problem? If it is, how much? Would it make it work for my 150HM? My 485M is going slowly. Fortunately very slowly. I was about to pull the trigger on a 680m until I read that post. As I said in my intro, I think I'm going to make a surface pro my next machine, but it won't have much for graphics....I mean the haswell graphics are certainly better than previous generations, but Intel isn't NVidia or AMD when it comes to graphics.....so I'd like to keep this monster up a while longer. Better graphics would go a long way towards that. The SSD has helped immensely. A CPU upgradw wouldn't hurt either so now that's my next search to run on here.....that and I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do some of the cooling mods :)

Ugh, I would have edited my post....but I'm still too much of a newb here....oh well, here's to that post count!!! (ok, if you guys don't want to count it fine lol)

Would this be the sort of thing you need?

Clevo Laptop Parts :: P150HM/P170HM :: Motherboard for P15xHM/P170HM - R&J Technology, Clevo Barebone Notebook kits, Laptop and desktop system builder

It's a P170HM3 (3D model board). I will try to find time soon to take it apart and and check the board with a multimeter, if I can fix it, good, if not...plan B. :)

I went looking for the 3 board specifically and didn't turn up much, but then, I've also noticed rj seems to have everything, but his search function is terrible. Let me know how it works out. All the 680M's out there are used or "new other" whatever that's supposed to mean. I'd rather buy a new video card and spend the money on something up to date rather than used, questionable, and not as "good" lol.

I'm not really a BIOS person myself, but I do know some people who are. They can't give access to anything proprietary, but might be able to help out if I beg enough. I'm a software engineer myself and not a java programmer. Low level stuff, assembly, C and C++ only. I've done some OS work, but nothing more complicated than getting into protected mode and bringing up USB....Well, almost bringing up USB....Couldn't get EHCI to finish initializing for some reason. UHCI/OHCI were simple, EHCI should have been similar, but weren't. Also ran into some strange ownership issue where if I set ownership, and warm booted the machine, nothing would work until a cold boot. Never could figure that out, and I had plenty of example code to work with! But that's all way off topic. Point is, if there's any sort of get up to speed quick on what has to be done document, I may be able to not only help contribute monetarily, not just in helping get some information if necessary, I might be able to directly contribute. I honestly don't even know where to begin, or what the actual issue is with using the newer cards, but I know sometimes explaining it is worse than actually doing the work. I'd show you examples of what I'm capable of, but my workplace has always been those secretive types of places in the US, so nothing gets published, so that's a no go :( (Believe me, I'm looking to get into commercial work....just gotta wait for the job market here to heat up some more.....that and get my stupid leg fixed after a bus illegally entered the carpool lane from 0 MPH 20' in front of me while I was going 52MPH...can't even drive a car now, walk much, sit much...so yeah, projects are what I need to keep my mind off the misery!)

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck with your HM work Prema? I'm considering a 680M for the P150HM, but it seems like a waste to spend $500+ on a chip that's already 3 years old... :S

Would be insanely great to get a 980M in there instead!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger, installed a 680M in my venerable P150HMx. Very nice! Bit of inf modding and straight in. Easily double the power of the 485M 2GB, which i'm selling in case anyone is interested.

Also had anyone figured out a fix for the sleep mode not working correctly? I'll go hunting in the Kepler Vbios thread and give a few things a go.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Seems the 680M i put in to the venerable P15HMx died today playing MGS V.... Five months run time is not that great... :-(

No graphics card shows up in the Device Manager Display Adapter anymore... reseated the card, no difference.

Any other tips? I'm guessing the 680M is still the best card that can be used in a P150HMx... might be time for an upgrade.

Rats...