Help needed - GTX 780M GPU wont be detected in BIOS :(

Finalspace

I just replaced my GTX 580M with a 780M in my Alienware M17xR3 and now the System beeps and the screen is black :-(

What i did was:

Upgraded my bios from A12 Stock to A12 Unlocked successfully

- Run some GPU heavy applications to heat up my old GPU - for better remove it later.

- Turn off the notebook

- Removed battery and hit the power button 10 secs

- Removed my old GTX 580M

- Added the new GTX 780M including appying correct thermal pads and added thermal paste

- Readded the battery

- Turn on the notebook

- Open up BIOS successfully

- Discrete Graphics not detected

- Disabled integrated graphics card in BIOS

- Set to PEG mode

- Now the System beeps 6 times

What did i wrong?

I believe the bios needs to detect the discrete graphics card before you can continue and disable the integrated graphics card.

You should be able to replace the GTX 580M, re-enable the integrated graphics card and re-seat the 780M.

Once you've done that, don't disable the integrated graphics card until the bios detects it (this may need a bios update; not familiar with it).

As you may have noticed, your machine doesn't post without a working (and detected) graphics card.

Thats what i have done and the card was not detected at all - beeps 6x times which indicates that something is wrong with the graphics card or the VBIOS is not supported.

I tried it 3 times, but always the same result. Yesterday i sadly have sent the card back to CEG-Hardwarecustom where i have bought them.

The reason i wanted to do this upgrade, because my System is not usable anymore - getting BSOD with nvkflt.sys and 0x00000x116 error code.

ePSA has not detected any error at all and alien autopsy crashes all the time.

I am really frustrated and angry right now - my thoughts are like pushing the notebook out of my window and buying me a new computer to get red of this shit.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...