NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

That's very interesting. It still has the +135 limit but who know what else has been modified? @Prema, I this one of yours?

Nope, not sure why it reports as modified, looks pretty stock v12 to me...upload it and I can tell you for sure.

After I wrote a user news on the PCGH forums. The german hardware mag "PCGamesHardware" - based on Premas post - features a small headline about the 900m series Bios-Lock issue.

They also state that they are allready in contact with different OEM-Partners to find out more about who is interensted in selling locked cards.

Maxwell Mobile: OC bei GTX-900M könnte selektiv durch BIOS verhindert werden

Best regards

phila

• Thumbs Up 2

I was gonna buy a new laptop, But im getting to the point where this crap isn't worth trying to deal with. I'd rather just have my current slower harder hardware, than the current gimped crap being released... AMD needs to get their act together and force Nvidia's hand here.

The sad truth to what you say is that this is actually the second generation that is not as good as the previous. The gap is wider now than the last one, and the trend is becoming "older is better" where technology is concerned. It's just unfortunate that the Alienware machines have a BIOS compatibility issue with Maxwell. Haswell mobile started the downgrade process and all indicators are that things will get even worse than they are now. The "eco-friendly" idiots and their "efficiency" religion is ruining everything for everyone, and their brain cancer has metastasized with the help of Kool-Aid drinkers at Intel and NVIDIA.

NVIDIA is batting 1000 with failure for their ignoramus business decisions, LOL. It's awesome see they have been slapped with a Class Action by GTX 970 owners for their treachery, lies and misconduct. SWEET!

If they don't watch their P's and Q's they'll find themselves defending another Class Action for overclock blocking shenanigans on mobile GPUs, too. If they believe they can get away with taking liberties in areas that are not theirs to take, they should re-evaluate their business objectives and take a good hard look at what their customers require of them. They are clearly losing touch with reality.

Amazon, Newegg, apparently offering refunds due to Nvidia GTX 970 memory issue; Nvidia slapped with new Class Action lawsuit for false advertising

Well since we all love conspiracy theories, how this one for a change?

I gave a loose chronology of events.

Must be tough.

Further, I have multiple contracts with Asus, called today, spoke to my rep Daniel. Daniel was the one whom actually furthered the information about RMA's.

Worked at Alienware for 5 years before I left - The Sentia? Lovely isn't she - I unfortunately, know more about laptop design, manufacturing and retailing than one would ever want to so, when my rep actually says "We're being inundated with RMA's due to overclocking" - Guess what? I take his word due to the aura surrounding the entire situation.

Guzman also, isn't an idiot.

Further, you're actually incorrect - Factually.

Since the 590, at the binary level, all drivers from NVIDIA have been both OCP and VDP locked mobile and desktop. Thermally. In fact, we had a significant amount of trouble with the 6m's because the die would always get too hot and trigger the OCP while actually normally gaming, thus dumping the frame-rates down to nothingness.

So as to them being completely open, factually incorrect.

As to my conjecture and hearsay - Feasible but, in the grand scheme of things you're just going to throw it back, regardless.

It is what it is and quite frankly, I have better things to do than argue with someone that can't refute a direct word for word quote from Nvidia, themselves.

Good day, sir. - I also didn't call you an idiot, it was my personal conjecture that you are one.

So Asus is behind this? Thoughts?

Basically guy started talking about how nVidia is locking down the drivers due to a spontaneous wave of THOUSANDS of RMAs, and when I pressed him for a credible source that's all I got.

It's from a certain overclocking place.

Basically guy started talking about how nVidia is locking down the drivers due to a spontaneous wave of THOUSANDS of RMAs, and when I pressed him for a credible source that's all I got.

No way in hell. ASUS would get slammed with a lawsuit. They provide software to overclock the GPU. They advertise overclocking as a feature. The real culprits would most likely be Dell. I doubt Clevo would have a hand in it but it's possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Read his other posts, too. Clearly a troll who knows nothing. You can claim to be anything you want on the Internet.

O C N blows so hard it's censored here. :D

Its really hard to stomach having that forum being my main.

Been considering making this my home for the past few weeks and just removing what little content I have from there...

This thread has been made a news source for the O C N forum.

• Thumbs Up 2

OK!

With today's new (non modded) stock 345.20 driver that allows for OCing:

With old stock shipping vBIOS OC works:

post-1023-14494999535657_thumb.jpg

Same system with new stock shipping vBIOS core is locked:

post-1023-14494999535968_thumb.jpg

The way that guy is writing (the user you quoted named 'Masked'), how it's all constructed, I wouldn't believe anything he says.

The way that guy is writing (the user you quoted named 'Masked'), how it's all constructed, I wouldn't believe anything he says.

There's certain things he understands well enough, but since he orders from w/e OEM's often he believes he has insider information or something. I also wouldnt believe anything he says. He's the type you either accept what he says or your an idiot for thinking otherwise...

OK!

With today's new (non modded) stock 345.20 driver that allows for OCing:

With old stock shipping vBIOS OC works:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14217[/ATTACH]

Same system with new stock shipping vBIOS core is locked:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14218[/ATTACH]

The amount of fury and rage....

Is it possible to flash the other vBIOS on the new card to allow OC'ing? Or is there something restricting you.

You can flash the mod or a stock pre-lock vbios to get around the block. The scary thing though is that if nVidia keeps down this path, all new card launches will be locked with no bios to roll back to.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The amount of fury and rage....

Is it possible to flash the other vBIOS on the new card to allow OC'ing? Or is there something restricting you.

That's the same card, same system & same driver with old and new vBIOS flashed back and forth.

Upcoming GPU models like this one will no longer have that freedom as there are no earlier stock vBIOS with enabled OC.

EDIT: Got ninja'd by Ethrem :D