NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

I am wondering if AMD is going to break Nvidia's hold on gaming with this crack in the armor...

Remember when Intel did this and AMD basicly raped the profits from them. I see this happening with the next gen of AMD's cards.

Anyone going to invest in AMD?

I wish I could get the clevo to get that xD

Here's my clevo with a single 330 brick:

Firestrike_New.jpg

The issue is your graphics score is low due to your operating system. From what it appears looking at your screen shot, you have Windows 7. Although Windows 7 is the superior operating system, a few weaknesses (OK, severe flaws) exist with Fire Strike. It is optimized for Windows 8, so you will never get as good of a graphics score from Windows 7. Secondly, Fire Strike is mostly a GPU test if you are looking at the overall score. The overall score essential ignores your Physics test results. You can get a great overall score with a totally pathetic CPU.

Note your CPU performance literally sodomizes @J95's Physics score. To further reduce the value of Fire Strike benchmark numbers, the Combined Test doesn't carry great enough weight in the overall score, and does not rely heavily enough on the contributions of the CPU (as we should expect from a "Combined Test"). From this we can conclude the Fire Strike is a fun and fluffy "feel good" benchmark designed to make Windows 8 look good without giving anyone an accurate picture of overall system performance. The test everyone should really care about is 3DMark 11. That benchmark separates the men from the boys in terms of overall system performance, and it also highlights the CPU-crippling flaws that are included in Windows 8 at no extra charge.

If you were to set your Clevo up as a dual boot system, that same benchmark run under Windows 8.1.1 would almost assuredly match or even exceed the score in example you aspire to.

I am wondering if AMD is going to break Nvidia's hold on gaming with this crack in the armor...

Remember when Intel did this and AMD basicly raped the profits from them. I see this happening with the next gen of AMD's cards.

Anyone going to invest in AMD?

I don't see that happening. AMD is financially weak, disengaged, especially in the mobile gaming arena, and incompetent in terms of engineering muscle. I would love it if you turned out to be right, because part of our problem is the complete absence of competitive incentive for NVIDIA to do better. I am more concerned that AMD will totally bale out on us and leave us with no alternative to NVIDIA. (Intel HD Graphics does not count, considering it is absolutely worthless piece of crap in spite of the great strides they have made. The gap between Intel IGFX and a discrete solution from NVIDIA or AMD is massive and it will likely never come remotely close to achieving the same level performance.)

How can you overclock GTX980m to 1452MHZ..? I cant go any further than 1400mhz or its gonna crash or freeze ?

Silicon lottery. I'm sure that overclock took a good bit of voltage bump to get.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Silicon lottery. I'm sure that overclock took a good bit of voltage bump to get.

I can agree with silicon lottery

but although I used max voltage 1.2V it crashed and freezed

and now

I DOWNLOADED THE LATEST NVIDIA DRIVER 345.20 AND SHOCKED :67:

You can do OVERCLOCK as before and there is no RESTRICTION...! :bananalama:

I can agree with silicon lottery

but although I used max voltage 1.2V it crashed and freezed

and now

I DOWNLOADED THE LATEST NVIDIA DRIVER 345.20 AND SHOCKED :67:

You can do OVERCLOCK as before and there is no RESTRICTION...! :bananalama:

We knew about no OC restrictions in that one but we need 347+ series to be unlocked.

As for OC, I haven't pushed mine but I got a 3dmark 11 extreme run on stock volts @ 1293MHz. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9224246

Firestrike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3929982

How can you overclock GTX980m to 1452MHZ..? I cant go any further than 1400mhz or its gonna crash or freeze ?

xeOBg6ah.png

Graphics score 12880. *svl7* & *Johnksss* vBIOS MOD

NV v347.52 MOD

Yep, silicon lottery...three times in a row, 680M, 780M & 980M, always Clevo/Sager cards (PowerNotebooks)...;). I'm focused on fixing AW/PEG throttling, *fixed*...;) @1500 next.

• Thumbs Up 2

I suppose they sort of have a point with disabling overclocking on mobile GPUs. People will try crazy overclocks and may even try this while on battery power that could result in the battery dying or frying the components (due to the battery being unable to source the required power yet having the GPU try anyway). But still, I do hope it only affects cards from the Maxwell architecture onwards.

I can't help but feel slightly jealous that single 980M users are coming close to (or beating) my highest stable single-brick run for firestrike.

Just need to get a long-lost billionaire uncle to be like "hey, have a $5000/week allowance" or something. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed.

In all honest anyone who is looking to overclock a notebook GPU will find a way around not being able to do so via Nvidia's native drivers.

If someone trying to overclock doesnt have the forethought to seek out the many brilliant people online who have figured out how to do such, then perhaps they shouldnt be overclocking anything.

Indeed.

In all honest anyone who is looking to overclock a notebook GPU will find a way around not being able to do so via Nvidia's native drivers.

If someone trying to overclock doesnt have the forethought to seek out the many brilliant people online who have figured out how to do such, then perhaps they shouldnt be overclocking anything.

Hi! nVidia has unlocked the OC via driver awhile ago.

The problem now is that the Maxwell Generation comes with a locked bios by default.

Fortunately Prema has found a way to mod those cards with a new bios - anyhow the way nVidia heads makes many people feel uncomfortable...

... if they know how to do some OC or not.

Best regards

phila

Hi! nVidia has unlocked the OC via driver awhile ago.

The problem now is that the Maxwell Generation comes with a locked bios by default.

Best regards

phila

As I understand it NV have still to release a driver since 344.75 that allows overclocking. The one due next week will be the first.

As for the vbios lock, NV say that the vbios settings are decided by the OEM and adjusted and set by them to suit the thermal/power requirements of their equipment? Basically the vbios is down to the OEM. This does mean it's not too tricky for someone like Prema to fix it :D.

I can't quote source as it's burred in one of the NV troll fests here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/810050/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-347-52-whql-driver-feedback-thread/45/ but it made sense...

As I understand it NV have still to release a driver since 344.75 that allows overclocking. The one due next week will be the first.

As for the vbios lock, NV say that the vbios settings are decided by the OEM and adjusted and set by them to suit the thermal/power requirements of their equipment? Basically the vbios is down to the OEM. This does mean it's not too tricky for someone like Prema to fix it :D.

I can't quote source as it's burred in one of the NV troll fests here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/810050/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-347-52-whql-driver-feedback-thread/45/ but it made sense...

Hi Mickyd1234!

Two annotaions:

First. nVidias latest issued driver 345.20 does support OCing again.

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Second. What nVidia states according to your information does not seem to match with what others (i.e. Prema) have experienced who got their chips directly from the green company.

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8998-nvidia-officially-states-they-cut-overclocking-mobile-gpus-17.html#post124860

And while it is true that he seemd to have success in circumventing the vBios lcok im am still not happy with this desicion.

Best regards

phila

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, seen this so many times before. OEM blames manufacturer, manufacturer blames OEM, both only by implication and no definitive statement. We only find out post release exactly what is going on. Are all new 9xxm owners getting these canked Vbios? I bet they end up on the new AW's!

Thanks for the correction on the driver, since it's still an old one I'll wait it out. They apparently released that one as part of the security fix for each driver branch. No surprise the unlock also crept in!

Edit: OK researched it properly now and indeed all new cards are getting this Vbios. I can only shake my head, WHY? What is the huge benefit that they can ignore all the end-users in preference for some manufacturing/sales benefit??

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems there is some confusion and outdated information.

The first post-347 unlocked driver will be released this coming Monday or Tuesday. 345.20 is an old driver which is identical to 344.75 except for a couple patched files that have nothing to do with OC plus the 344.80 hotfix. That's why you have no problem overclocking on 345.20.

NotebookCheck has confirmed with Nvidia that cards will stop shipping with the locked vBIOS once the aforementioned unlocked driver has been released.

[uPDATE 2 27.02.2015]: In the meantime, we have information from several manufacturers on this topic. Our sources prove the initial suspicion that overclocking in the GTX 870M and 980M had indeed been blocked in the vBIOS. However, Nvidia and leading manufacturers of gaming laptops also made a clear concession for overclocking. The vBIOS-locked cards will likely stop shipping once the GPU driver update Nvidia has previously promised is released. Nvidia has also confirmed this on our request. It remains to be seen, however, whether this also applies to non-GTX graphics cards.
  • Thumbs Up 2

It seems there is some confusion and outdated information.

The first post-347 unlocked driver will be released this coming Monday or Tuesday. 345.20 is an old driver which is identical to 344.75 except for a couple patched files that have nothing to do with OC plus the 344.80 hotfix. That's why you have no problem overclocking on 345.20.

NotebookCheck has confirmed with Nvidia that cards will stop shipping with the locked vBIOS once the aforementioned unlocked driver has been released.

Thanks for that update. it is moving so fast!

Sounds like good news for new buyers. I wonder if there will be official vbios updates?

Thanks for that update. it is moving so fast!

Sounds like good news for new buyers. I wonder if there will be official vbios updates?

Highly unlikely. It would undoubtedly lead to a lot of bricked cards.

The people who care about overclocking would know how to find a mod or would figure it out.

Man I don`t seem to get it. What does this (The vBIOS-locked cards will likely stop shipping once the GPU driver update Nvidia has previously promised is released.) mean?

Will nVidia remove the bios Lock? And: Why did they bios-lock some of the cards earlier then? And why will the will the locked cards stop shipping after the realease of the driver update?

Best regards

phila

Has anyone successfully flashed a third party vBIOS (like Prema's) to unlock their locked vBIOS?

I got my laptop with 980m sli from clevo around the time the cards were to be supposibly vbios locked. Mine shipped with the 344.00 drivers . I never even checked to see if the cards would overclock cuz they were already working better than I needed them to. right away I updated to the 347.52 driver. I then tried to do the usual 135 mhz core overclock with afterburner and was not able to because I updated to the latest driver without knowing they were clockblocked. So I told my self no big deal I'll just wait until the next unlocked driver is released from invidia and try again then. I didn't want to mess with switching drivers because my machine is working great the way it is. Supposibly the next unlocked driver from nvidia is to be released tommorrow. When I update the drivers for my 980m's I will try to overclock again with my stock vbios. If I am unsuccessful or unable to overclock because of the vbios lock I will try and see if I am able to flash premas unlocked vbios to my cards with success . Or I just might hit you guys up for a clevo 980m stock vbios that isn't overclocked locked so I can still have my warranty on my laptop. [emoji4]

Hopefully I don't have the locked vbios on my 980m's and I won't have to mess with flashing the vbios even though it's fairly simple to do. It's just a risk every time you do it. Me personally have never had problems flashing vbios ' yet Knock on wood.

I will let you guys know how it goes after I update to the next driver from nvidia.

Cheers.

Edit: the vbios version on my cards is

Not sure if the cards with the locked vbios have a different bios # .