NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

My boring 2 Cents:

NVIDIA simply decided to "cover their tracks" with the 374 driver...

Reason OC is disabled for Mobile Maxwell is that the cards throttled about 20% right out of the box in about one third of systems even when the systems where running very cool. Since this is a sue-able defect in markets like Europe (i.e. not as advertised) they had to tackle it before it became a public topic.

So the only way to fix this issue (since they can not expect the casual user to have a mass vBIOS/BIOS flashing) was raising the TDP limits right on driver level.

The problem, by raising the bar for all Mobile Maxwell was that systems that never had this problem in the first place now the upper TDP bar had also risen by about 20%.

Since all their "lab-tested" numbers (which OEMs build their entire system designs on) are based on the old TDP, they decided to simply remove the core and memory OC option and that way chop of the "same" amount from the top. (Since OC isn't an advertised feature it isn't sue-able).

It is debatable if this raise may have caused actual technical problems, and while it certainly does on heavily PSU and/or cooling limited systems, our tests show that it won't for most of them, especially more powerful ones like the Clevos.

This also brings us to the second and more obvious reason why they approved this solution and pushed it into a public driver. Business!

Why would a mainstream user, who can gain 50% through OC right NOW (through one of our Mods), upgrade to a future "GTX980MX" that gives him only 30% (stock) over his current setup?!

And here they thought they could beat two birds with one stone...Well it looks like they forgot about their end-user!

This is what happens if the management first decides to save money during development and then panics and puts the advice of their legal team over that of their public-relations office...and guess who has to deal with it now. ;)

This is about what I'm thinking too.

1) This bug was there for 5 years - so they are either dumb or plain lying

2) The "fix" only affects maxwell (800M and 900M series) so again - they are either dumb or lying

3) Everyone believing the story about the "bug" will also believe that the false stats released for the GTX970 have been a "comunication issue" - ha ha...

4) For mobiles they are releasing a refresh every second generation - this "refresh" is just a factory OCCed version of the previous one - this saves everyone including notebook manufactureres a LOT of time (testing etc). So my believe is that they are actually keeping potential as a reserve for the refresh (I've seen way to good OCC possible on GTX500M, GTX700M and GTX900M)

My guess is they don't want us to use this potential but rather make us buy a new card every generation (maybe the move of MSI to offer GPU upgrade kits for their laptops starting with GT72 was a reaction to this plans)

Maybe NVidia is just at the edge of the current technological advancement. The overhead for designing OC specific chipsets may not be worth it. Honestly, though I'll take a decent desktop build over a mobile build any day, there are just less issues in the long run... Just my 2C.

How so? That wasn't that idiot ManuelG this time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Because:

As you know, we are constantly tuning and optimizing the performance of your GeForce PC.

We obsess over every possible optimization so that you can enjoy a perfectly stable machine that balances game, thermal, power, and acoustic performance.

Still, many of you enjoy pushing the system even further with overclocking.

Our recent driver update disabled overclocking on some GTX notebooks. We heard from many of you that you would like this feature enabled again. So, we will again be enabling overclocking in our upcoming driver release next month for those affected notebooks.

If you are eager to regain this capability right away, you can also revert back to 344.75.

Nvidia has until next month to go back on its word or delay the driver. Remember, PeterS is the same employee who, during 970 VRAMgate, made the statement about refunds and a driver fix and retracted both the very next day.

Because:

Nvidia has until next month to go back on its word or delay the driver. Remember, PeterS is the same employee who, during 970 VRAMgate, made the statement about refunds and a driver fix and retracted both the very next day.

Wasn't aware of that but it's going to add to their PR disaster if they reverse this decision and they really can't afford more PR after the 970 mess.

What I'm worried about though is they raised the TDP 20% in the new drivers to stop needless throttling... I wonder how that's going to factor into the equation.

• Founder
Because:

Yeah I wouldn't trust PeterS as far as I could throw him based on his past bullshit. Don't get TOO excited just yet guys, knowing him he'll go back and edit his post. Or worse, NVIDIA will enable limited overclocking up to +50 MHz.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think NVidia will simply re-enable overclocking to be exactly the same as it was before, +135Mhz limit on the core, which a limit set in the vBIOS anyway. Doing anything less would just negate any positive effect for them that's been brought about by this positive announcement by NVidia.

I think NVidia will simply re-enable overclocking to be exactly the same as it was before, +135Mhz limit on the core, which a limit set in the vBIOS anyway. Doing anything less would just negate any positive effect for them that's been brought about by this positive announcement by NVidia.

Yes but that unlocks it for software too for the custom vbioses so things just go back where they were.

xJeb0EJ.png

...Pied Piper of Hamelin Santa Clara ♫ ♬

"Posted 02/11/2015 07:33 PM"

DriverVer = 02/05/2015, 9.18.13.4965

Overclocking & DSR

NxUuWrJh.png

Basically, to gain more time Dell/AW 17R2 BIOS update 240W PSU (180W stock), the latter are being replaced like there's no tomorrow. Everything I posted on GF forums was correct...

BlLkxlQ.png

Oops v349.65 Microsoft Update 02/19/2015.

Divine Comedy...

"Thank you NVIDIA for actually listening to your customers"......;)

• Thumbs Up 4

What a nice timing. Promising OC capable driver to return next month...

just in time to quieten the angry mob and from spoiling nVIDIAs March 3rd event with bad publicity...

Well I wanted to confirm this first hand, but now that I have, here You go!

NVIDIA has begun shipping new GTX9xxM cards with a vBIOS that blocks core overclocking!

Looks like OC will soon be a thing from the past regardless of the driver used:

post-1023-1449499952016_thumb.jpg

(Of course we can still just use an older vBIOS or one of our Mods to get around it, but it looks like this is the direction in which they are headed...)

just in time to quieten the angry mob and from spoiling nVIDIAs March 3rd event with bad publicity...

NVIDIA has begun shipping new GTX9xxM cards with a vBIOS that blocks core overclocking!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14169[/ATTACH]

(Of course we can still just use an older vBIOS or one of our Mods to get around it, but it looks like this is the direction in which they are headed...)

Is this applicable to any specific vendors, or in cards just bought separately off the internet?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14169[/ATTACH]

Nvidia sucks on so many levels right now, I don't even know where to start. :76:

Well it's well within their right to vbios block new cards and leave the overclocking in the drivers so that those who bought before the lock are still getting what they paid for. That's jacked up that they did that though. Hopefully they don't add additional security to prevent flashing custom vbioses as a next step! I think I'm going team red next time.

Unfortunately I waited too long to buy new laptop and I have this new, 'better' vbios.

Haha, that's terrible, especially in a beast of a laptop like The Batman! Sacrilege, especially when that laptop is all about enthusiast performance!