NVIDIA officially states they cut overclocking from mobile GPU's... :(

I've played with R9 M295X and I'm not impressed. It's really not a huge improvement in performance over 7970M from what I can tell. There are no working tools to overclock it, so how far it can go remains to be seen. Stock, it scores about 8227 on graphics score in 3DMark11. It would be nice if it overclocks well in CrossFire without all of the associated AMD issues. I would jump ship if it could soundly outperform 980M SLI (both with max stable overclock, not stock) and not die a premature death. However, I am not willing to spend any money and accept a lower level of performance from AMD simply to make a political statement against NVIDIA. I'll just keep using old drivers that don't block me from overclocking.

In the meanwhile, people need to stop downloading these garbage "clock blocked" turd drivers. If people keep downloading it (I'm sure they count the number of downloads) NVIDIA will get the impression too many people are OK with their trash. If the downloads dry up, they'll understand that it's not OK with too many people. I would encourage people to start downloading multiple copies of an unlocked driver like 344.75 repeatedly, even if only to delete them afterward.

We need folks at places like Neowin, Anandtech, HardOCP, LinusTech and the boutique OEMs like Clevo and Alienware resellers to take a hard stand against NVIDIA for this nonsense. If several of them would grow a pair of cajones and say something like,

"We disagree and specifically endorse notebook overclocking as part of our business. Properly done it is perfectly safe, acceptable, and we simply cannot support NVIDIA's carte blanche position against it. We certainly do not approve of them taking matters into their own hands and blocking it. This is a decision that should be up to the discretion of the individual end user, not arbitrarily decided by NVIDIA."
it would create quite a stir.

My take on the overclocking post is that it's some kind of damage control. They probably mean - hey desktop users, don't be afraid, stay with us, there is overclocking in your/our future. This way only the notebook users are left in the dark. Hopefully more people care about the freedom of choice rather than personal interest and whether or not they'll overclock their mobile nVIDIA. Which tells me that I should sign the damn thing as well... Decisions, decisions.

The R9-M295X doesn't has CF connector, could be using XDMA?

I am sure there is a way to modify the INF files in NVIDIA drivers to re-enable overclocking and someone somehow will do it soon if NVIDIA doesn't re-enable it themselves withing the next 5 drivers. We either going to have to use modded drivers when they come out. If they don't we are going to have to either use this 344.75 driver or we are going to have to flash our vBIOS with our max stable clocks so we don't need a utility. then we can use the new drivers. but for now i will just stick with 344.80

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] where did you find a m295x? Also have you tried Trixx? It even allows overvolting on the 7970m.

AMD cards also have a power limit in BIOS. This may have been hurting you even at stock. Radeon Bios Editor can raise it.

I still hope that Prema is right about the TDP thing. If he was then this all could well be a savety issue that is overcome with the next generation.

And perhaps (I am daydreaming here) the OC feature will reapear without any further explenation.

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Do you guys think we will need to use the new drivers when DX12 arrives?

I really hope someone works on a fully modded driver which 1. allows us to overclock again 2. allow us to use DSR and 3. allow us to use shadow play to record desktop capturing! I can do all of this things on my GTX780ti in my desktop but deemed not needed on a my laptop. Strange as the gaming laptop market has had massive growth in the last 3 years and I believe will make the desktop redundant in the next 5/10 years! Surely it is up to us what we want to do with OUR own systems? I think Nvidia are worried because you can overclock the gtx970m to almost match a stock 980m. Making there no need to spend the extra £450 on getting a 980 over 970. I could be wrong.

I really hope someone works on a fully modded driver which 1. allows us to overclock again 2. allow us to use DSR and 3. allow us to use shadow play to record desktop capturing! I can do all of this things on my GTX780ti in my desktop but deemed not needed on a my laptop. Strange as the gaming laptop market has had massive growth in the last 3 years and I believe will make the desktop redundant in the next 5/10 years! Surely it is up to us what we want to do with OUR own systems? I think Nvidia are worried because you can overclock the gtx970m to almost match a stock 980m. Making there no need to spend the extra £450 on getting a 980 over 970. I could be wrong.

^This. I'm still pissed that they don't support desktop capture on my mobile card. I mean come on, really? Is it that hard? What is it about a laptop GPU that's incapable of this feat?

DSR puts a huge load on the cards... That's probably why we don't have it. You can simulate your own DSR with a custom 3K resolution and suddenly your card that never passed 72C is running 87C and only 87C because that's the BIOS' programmed throttle point. It does look nice though. I think what nVidia is worried about is for the first time ever, laptops can come close to or surpass the stock desktop parts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My take on the overclocking post is that it's some kind of damage control. They probably mean - hey desktop users, don't be afraid, stay with us, there is overclocking in your/our future. This way only the notebook users are left in the dark. Hopefully more people care about the freedom of choice rather than personal interest and whether or not they'll overclock their mobile nVIDIA. Which tells me that I should sign the damn thing as well... Decisions, decisions.

The R9-M295X doesn't has CF connector, could be using XDMA?

I got into a discussion about this with several desktop users. Sadly, they totally support Nvidia's decision. I don't get why, even after all the evidence introduced, people still think that modern gaming laptops are incapable of dealing with the heat introduced while overclocking.

I got responses like, "Speaking as an engineer and not a consumer, trust Nvidia engineers in the assumption that in the majority of cases not allowing OC is a good idea."

Such ignorance. I don't even have a 900 series mobile GPU, but I can totally see the consequences of these actions.

I sent this story along with a link to the petition to every gaming news site I could think of to try and drum up more coverage. There are a lot of people who haven't considered OC now but may in the future and they have no idea about this. Sadly, there's been no response.

• Thumbs Up 4

I got into a discussion about this with several desktop users. Sadly, they totally support Nvidia's decision. I don't get why, even after all the evidence introduced, people still think that modern gaming laptops are incapable of dealing with the heat introduced while overclocking.

I got responses like, "Speaking as an engineer and not a consumer, trust Nvidia engineers in the assumption that in the majority of cases not allowing OC is a good idea."

Such ignorance. I don't even have a 900 series mobile GPU, but I can totally see the consequences of these actions.

I sent this story along with a link to the petition to every gaming news site I could think of to try and drum up more coverage. There are a lot of people who haven't considered OC now but may in the future and they have no idea about this. Sadly, there's been no response.

Hi thank you fro your kind words in regard to our problem. Notebook OC is a good example to see how hard it is to fight a myth... In my forums it is the same thing. On one hand I do not blame people that they do not know about the possibilities, on the other hand it makes me sad that they start writing before they have done the latest research (I probably should check my own performance here ;-).

Best regards

phila

DSR puts a huge load on the cards... That's probably why we don't have it. You can simulate your own DSR with a custom 3K resolution and suddenly your card that never passed 72C is running 87C and only 87C because that's the BIOS' programmed throttle point. It does look nice though. I think what nVidia is worried about is for the first time ever, laptops can come close to or surpass the stock desktop parts.

It doesn't put any extra "strain" on the card at all. The GPU will just run at 90 to100% loud which most games make the gpu do anyway. Playing dying light the other day for 2 hours and my GPU spent most of it's time at 100% so that cannot be the reason for us not to have DSR!

It doesn't put any extra "strain" on the card at all. The GPU will just run at 90 to100% loud which most games make the gpu do anyway. Playing dying light the other day for 2 hours and my GPU spent most of it's time at 100% so that cannot be the reason for us not to have DSR!

Test it yourself. Make a custom resolution and fire up a game without changing any other settings. The heat will go up significantly. Or don't believe me, I don't care either way. I know I've done testing on my system and found that to be factual.

Test it yourself. Make a custom resolution and fire up a game without changing any other settings. The heat will go up significantly. Or don't believe me, I don't care either way. I know I've done testing on my system and found that to be factual.

The GTX965M supports DSR though. GeForce GTX 965M | GeForce check it out for yourself. So it cannot be anything to do with the fact it's a mobile chip.

@Mr. Fox where did you find a m295x? Also have you tried Trixx? It even allows overvolting on the 7970m.

AMD cards also have a power limit in BIOS. This may have been hurting you even at stock. Radeon Bios Editor can raise it.

Neither Trixx nor Afterburner works with it. Can't dump the vBIOS either. Looks like the tools for AMD will need to be updated to work with it.

Using SSAA has never made any of my GPUs run hotter than they did without SSAA, unless they weren't at constant 99% usage before. SSAA is not a power virus.

ShadowPlay works fine for mobile GPUs and has for a very long time. Most of the videos in my YouTube channel were recorded using ShadowPlay. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFoxRox2

I think @kingsknight is referring to ShadowPlay desktop capture, which is not available on mobile. You need to use desktop capture to capture windowed and OpenGL games as well as general screen recording outside of games.

I think @kingsknight is referring to ShadowPlay desktop capture, which is not available on mobile. You need to use desktop capture to capture windowed and OpenGL games as well as general screen recording outside of games.

Well, let's go ahead and fix that, shall we? Here is a little something I slopped together just to spite NVIDIA.

So much for their "notebooks can't do this" bull crap about everything... lying bastards.

Nice. Didn't know it was that simple. Nvidia is the king of artificial limitations. Like how I technically "can't" run ShadowPlay or stream to Shield on my notebook due to not having a GTX GPU, but can when I add -shadowplay -gamestream to the end of the GeForce Experience shortcut? Absolutely retarded company. I can't wait for them to see the smirk on our faces when we enable DSR before they do and re-enable overclocking.

I agree... one might reasonably conclude that the executive leadership at NVIDIA hates laptops and/or laptop owners because they are constantly gimping or disabling things to shaft us.

And, I just checked ShadowPlay Desktop Capture functionality with Wolfenstein: The New Order and Quake II and it works flawlessly. The ordinary gimped version for laptops does not.

• Founder

I really can't figure out why NVIDIA does this. I wonder if this is a general limitation they impose because they have to deal with so many different configurations of laptops (e.g. ones with and without optimus) or are there issues w/these features we don't know about with laptops? BTW, not all is green on the desktop side of things, at least if you own SLI + G-Sync display. I don't have access to MFAA or DSR and although NVIDIA has promised to add it for G-Sync/SLI users, I see no signs of it yet. Maybe I should try to find some registry hack as well.