Flashihng BIOS or wireless card? (Bypass lenovo whitelist)

LAZYB

I ran to the same problem a lot of people have. I wanted to upgrade my y500 wlan card in order to conect to 5GHz bands.

I found two solutions on the table, one risky the other one not so much. The first one consists in removing the BIOS whitelist and the second one is about flashing the actual card (what I find really troubling).

What do you guys think? Have you tried any of these methods?

If by flashing the actual card you mean installing another wifi card supported by BIOS whitelist then yes, it is more easy considering you already have bought a wifi chip supported by your BIOS. But the list of cards supported by BIOS is very small.

If you are not under warranty you should remove the BIOS whitelist by flashing modded BIOS. After that you can use any half size mini pcie wifi card.