M17x r3 unlocked BIOS for 2920xm overclocking [BIOS works, untested with XM CPU]

svl7

Nice find SVL7 +1 for sure. Thanks for posting all those pics DaneGRClose +1. I hope to see someone get it to work on the m17x r3 and the 2920XM.

Ok, got a response and some more information from the creator.

Before flashing the BIOS, reset the BCLK overclock. And als after installing the mod BIOS, you go and load the default settings in the BIOS, just to make sure that all registers are set properly for this version.

In the official M17x r3 BIOS, the protective functions will (according to the author of the modded BIOS) slow down the Bus when it gets problematic (even when you applied an overclock).

I haven't got an r3 to test this, but it would be interesting to monitor the actual bus clock of the r3 when it is overclocked, if it's lower than the setting in the BIOS it would indeed indicate that there are issues and the protective functions are kicking in. Maybe some of you r3 users can test this (using the standard BIOS).

In case of the modded BIOS there are no protective functions, which apparently can lead to problems (in case there's an AMD card in the system). (I mentioned this before).

As far as I know this is because the AMD GPU is slightly differently linked with the Bus than the Nvidia card, which allows less headroom when it comes to overclocking the Bus.

To sum it up, reset the BCLK overclock before flashing the BIOS and after the installation load the defaults in the BIOS.

Also it would be interesting to see some monitoring of the Bus speed (with an official BIOS) to see whether there's a sign of those protective functions... as far as I've seen on benchmarks, there have never been issues with the BCLK being lower than the setting in the BIOS or similar.

• 4 weeks later...
Just tested with an ES 2920xm and it does not have any menus for multi. In BIOS nor throttlestop. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work for retail.

Hmm, interesting. This mod affects only the BIOS, so don't expect anything new with ThrottleStop when using this BIOS.

Can you post some details of your system, and maybe a CPU-Z screenshot? No "performance options menu" in the advanced tab? The multi options should be called "Core x Ratio Limit"

Performance tab was there but only BCLK. I'm back on a modded A08 will probably try again later.

Alienware m17xR3 | i7-2920xm ES | ATI 6990m | 1920x1080 panel | 16GB ram | OCZ MI 120GB | 750GB 7200RPM

EDIT: Interesting I checked the BIOS pics and "Non-Turbo Flex Support" was disabled for that person. I can change this and it does allow me to specify "Extreme CPU" but nothing under performance options. BTW I also have this on an unlocked R3 A08 BIOS.

Edited by Eric Witte

Maybe I'm now needing to get it to boot and the BIOS recovery steps are not working!

Did you get your system working again? Btw. did you load the default BIOS settings after flashing it?

Was thinking the same thing but did see someone on an m18x and it worked just fine on it.

Ok, thanks for the information, very interesting, I'll contact the creator of the BIOS when I find time.

• 4 weeks later...
Was thinking the same thing but did see someone on an m18x and it worked just fine on it.

have you tried intel extreme tuning utility? it can change the multis on my oem 2920xm in m18x so maybe it will help on yours?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 26/07/2011 at 9:58 AM, DaneGRClose said:

There you go ;) If anyone sees something promising or wants to see the sub menus or selection options let me know as there is a lot of stuff in there that I don't know what it is. The one thing that could be promising that I wish I hadn't sold my 120hz screen for is if the IGP is disabled it may make the 120hz screen+AMD combo possible. If Nvidia's 580 wasn't so ridiculously priced it wouldn't matter, but let's face it, $600 for one card is asinine.

Hiya Dane!

Is it possible to unlock everything please?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...