Problems with the gtx 880m Alienware 17

GTRxConfusion

I recently purchased an Alienware 17 with the m290x, which well, was shipped broken. Dell decided to ship me a new one with the 880m but so far I've had nothing but problems. When using stock drivers i get extreme throttling and all sorts of weird things, and when using the latest drivers i still get these random throttles down to 30fps. This seems to fix when i enable battery boost in Nvidia experience, set my frame rate preference to 60, then disable it again, but i still get random throttling for no reason(down to like 400mhz from 953mhz) when using either dell's 332.70 drivers or nvidia's 347.25 drivers. The card also never goes into boost mode of 993mhz unless i attempt to overclock it, which then of course it starts crashing because i cant modify voltage. This has just been a giant mess. Does anyone know how to fix these issues, or have had the same issues? If so how have you resolved them?

Specs:

Motherboard: Alienware 17

Monitor: Dual 1080p 60hz monitors

GPU: Nvidia Geforce gtx 880m 8gb

CPU: Intel i7 4910mq factory overclocked to 4.1ghz

Ram: 16gb(2x8) 1633mhz ram

Im pretty sure this problem relates to a vbios issue, as i have seen some posts by others, but i dont have any clue how to fix it.

Have you also tried reinstalling the chipset and intel drivers? I know that's a pretty basic answer but it doesn't sound like you've tried it yet. You can also try the official intel drivers from their website. You could also try different games and 3dmark if you already haven't.

• 1 month later...

The 880M was known to have massive throttling problems. There are loads of threads outside of this forum where people are trying everything - including selling the kitchen sink - to try to solve it. I'd send it back and ask for a 980M which doesn't have the same problems

• 5 years later...