Laptop for Computer Science student and some gaming

NDSno1

Question

Hi Tech Inferno guy. I’m looking for a laptop that can handle coding works (also some graphic designing, running Android emulator, game editors like Unity 5.0 …). I also need it to handle gaming at High Setting at 1080p (reason below). I have a budget of 1400 USD. Here are some requirements (may or may not in the laptop is fine):

• Full HD 17 inch screen: I read a lot, and need big workspace for coding. Because of this the laptop also needs to be strong enough to drive games at High and 1080p
  • Maxwell Graphic Card (GTX 970m or higher)
  • Good screen with good contrast and color: I stare at the screen a lot so I need it to be good. Matte preferred since I work for a long time so I don’t want reflections.
  • Good sound output from audio jack: Important for me (yeah I’m a weirdo right?) but not too vital since I can find a USB sound card. But I paid for everything including the sound right? Be decent.
  • No Operating System option: I’m getting Operating System from my college so I want to use the bucks for something else.
  • Built-in Optical Drive will be nice, but then not vital. Lowest priority.
  • At least 1TB 7200rpm. I don’t need SSD, 7200rpm is good for me.
  • Backlit Keyboard: Yes I’m a night owl
  • Stealth of Plain design.

I need a gaming laptop because I’m studying abroad, so I can bring my desktop around (and my desktop is also quite outdated). I’m also going to use this laptop for long time, 3 more years of college and I might use that for few more years before upgrading.

I’m considering the Sager NP8671 with base config:

• 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display, Matte Finished Screen
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5 – Not upgradable
  • Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ Processor
  • 8GB DDR3 at 1600MHz Single Channel
  • 1TB 7200rpm SATA2 HDD
  • Intel Wireless-AC 7265 + Bluetooth
  • White-LED illuminated keyboard
  • Built-in Fingerprint Reader
  • Slim Design

I’m also looking at MSI since they also have the plain design. However the price of MSI is more expensive than Sager with same config. But I’m not really confident about the screen quality and audio quality of Sager.

Thank you guys for your help.

2 answers to this question

The sager is a very good choice, so are MSI. My friend just sold his msi and bought a sager like mine and it is a really wellbuild pc if you would like to upgrade your graphics card later on. I have upgraded my graphics and it just worked like a champ.

Basically, you can not go wrong with msi or sager. :)

My brother also owns a Sager. Can't really go wrong with this machine. It probably has the best bangs for bucks you can get. Just know it will be very heavy if you have to carry it around the campus. You are looking to carry at least 15lbs because your laptop won't be sufficient running off its battery. And counting in the books and binders, the weight can make a difference if you are going to live in a big campus.