Gaming monitor question

Not sure where to put this so I'll just post it here.

I'm looking for a new monitor. My current 21.5" LED monitor is just too small for me. I'd like to get a good 27' IPS monitor but it seems all the ones everyone suggests are 144hz. I usually play my games at a locked 30 fps so I don't see that working out very well. Or am I wrong about that?

My guess is I would need a monitor at only 60hz. Any good suggestions?

• Founder

If you've got a budget PC and I'm guessing you do based on the locked 30 fps, just get one of those imported korean 27" IPS panels. They have glossy panels, OC to 100hz+ and have a low price.

I've always had good luck with Westinghouse and Samsung monitors. As it stands right now i play on a 55" samsung HDTV, but that's neither here nor there. Why do you keep your FPS locked at 30? just curious. Based on a little research at the moment going for bargain options I would choose either the samsung SD360 or BenQ GL2760H. I have helped run the PC area of the Pax East event for the last couple years and they use Benq monitors in their PC free play and tournament areas. I was pretty impressed by the brand.

Yeah i've been looking at some Benq monitors, seems like a lot of people really like them. I play at a locked 30 because I find it to be a smooth experience. With my laptop I can usually max out settings or at least run high settings on demanding games, but it keeps my fps around the 30-40 range. So I lock it off at 30 via Nvidia Inspector to keep everything running smooth and consistent. I find that most stuttering I get in games is due to the frame rate jumping around. I'll change this locked fps setting depending on the game like if I'm getting average 45 fps then I'll lock it off there.

But as I'm doing more monitor research I'm thinking I'm just gonna build me a 2K gaming rig and go with a 1440p monitor. I'm just gonna wait a little while for for all the new crazy hardware that's just around the corner.

Oh, I feel you on the HDTV. Best thing about laptop gaming is plugging it up to the big HDTV in the living room. It's like console gaming on crack! Now if only it were in 3D...:36_002:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IIRC there are no retail IPS units available that run 144Hz. But as mentioned, you can import one from Catleap. But I'd google 'catleap 27" overclocking' problems before you do.

I recently had the ASUS ROG SWIFT 2560x1440 144Hz monitor and it owns. Yes, it is TN, but you can mess around with ICC profiles to make it work well.

Before this, I had a BENQ 27" TN 144Hz monitor and a DELL U2713HM 27" IPS 60Hz side by side. I swapped between them: IPS for slow games like Shadow of Mordor and the BENQ for BF4 etc

• 1 month later...
Yeah i've been looking at some Benq monitors, seems like a lot of people really like them. I play at a locked 30 because I find it to be a smooth experience. With my laptop I can usually max out settings or at least run high settings on demanding games, but it keeps my fps around the 30-40 range. So I lock it off at 30 via Nvidia Inspector to keep everything running smooth and consistent. I find that most stuttering I get in games is due to the frame rate jumping around. I'll change this locked fps setting depending on the game like if I'm getting average 45 fps then I'll lock it off there

I got my girlfriend a benq GL2460 and its great for gaming. I hate when frame rate fluctuation detracts from my gaming experience. Also I agree keeping a consistent locked fps as high as your hardware can support is a good idea.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-25UM65-P-25-21-Ultrawide/dp/B00I3GJ8RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430579538&sr=8-1&keywords=widescreen+monitor

I got this bad boy for a monitor. Pricey but nothing like playing FFXIV with this the view is huge. Now if only they could bring out curved monitors at the same price with these proportions....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the sake of future-proofing I'd go With a FreeSync monitor if you prefer AMD video cards, or G-Sync if you are more onto Nvidia.

THat makes a difference for image quality even if your video card can't go all the way to 60FPS or more.

Older video cards may not take advantage of the tech, but in the long run it doesn't matter. And AMD is the cheaper tech here, since it's built in to the standard already. Just check for the right specs before buying.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking too. I've been hearing good things about G-sync and freesync.

If you don't mind the added costs, newer models are coming out around the end of year.

It might help with your game smoothness (from what i hear).

The one i'm buying is the acer x34, coming out around October with 100 fps

Depends on your graphics card (nvidia= g sync AMD= freesync)

• 1 month later...

I had been using a Samsung T260HD TV as my computer monitor for the past 3+years. I just recently upgraded to a BenQ XL2420Z which has a 144Hz refresh rate on it. I do not competitively game with my computer, just for killing time and playing a few casual games, and I find that the refresh rate is extremely nice to have. All movement on the monitor is smooth and is pleasing to use. I still have my 10-year old 20.1 inch BenQ monitor as my secondary and there is a massive difference in how smooth things run on the newer monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

I recomended BenQ XL2730Z

+ Gaming performance is exceptional;+FreeSync works superbly;

+Loads of useful extra features;

+ Good image quality for a TN panel;

27in, 2,560 x 1,440 TN panel; 144Hz maximum refresh rate; 529 $$ on amazon

• 5 months later...
On 10/17/2015 at 8:10 AM, repah said:

I recomended BenQ XL2730Z

+ Gaming performance is exceptional;+FreeSync works superbly;

+Loads of useful extra features;

+ Good image quality for a TN panel;

27in, 2,560 x 1,440 TN panel; 144Hz maximum refresh rate; 529 $$ on amazon

I have nvidia GTX 970, can my card use the freesync technology or i have to look for a G-Sync monitor?

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/1/2015 at 6:20 PM, MEGADOR said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll just post it here.

I'm looking for a new monitor. My current 21.5" LED monitor is just too small for me. I'd like to get a good 27' IPS monitor but it seems all the ones everyone suggests are 144hz. I usually play my games at a locked 30 fps so I don't see that working out very well. Or am I wrong about that?

My guess is I would need a monitor at only 60hz. Any good suggestions?

Never get an IPS monitor for gaming. They're not supposed to be used this way. Gaming need responsiveness and IPS are relatively slow in comparison with TN panels.

Consider this one http://www.viewsonic.com/us/vx2703mh-led-1.html

Edited by diegomelch

• 7 months later...

By the way don't listen to all the hype. Enjoying my LG 26" 1080p IPS display here. A -GOOD- IPS display from samsung or LG will be great. Mine's beautiful and only does 1080p @ 60 htz and I love it. I got it last summer and it's the most beautiful screen I've seen or experienced.. considering buying another two some time next year in 2017.

Nothing "blurry" nothing wrong at all. It's just beautiful and nothing negative.

Also by the way: lower latency (5ms or below) IPS panels are indeed designed for gaming.. that's pretty much the only use-case for low-latency displays.

Edited by Kithylin

• 4 months later...
On 4.5.2016 at 9:56 AM, diegomelch said:

Never get an IPS monitor for gaming. They're not supposed to be used this way. Gaming need responsiveness and IPS are relatively slow in comparison with TN panels.

That depends on the games you're playing. For fast shooters a TN would be better, but in all other cases a good IPS is very fine for games.