14" Lenovo T430s GTX970@4Gbps+c-EC2 (PE4C 2.1) + Win8.1 [ermac318]

Hey guys,

After seeing Krazyazy's results with Thunderbolt on the same laptop, I decided to forgo the extra cost and complexity of a Thunderbolt implementation and stick with tried-and-true ExpressCard. Went with the PE4C v2.1 adapter along with the Dell DA2 220W Brick per recommendations from various folks. Extremely happy with the adapter! It's easy to setup, straightforward connections, and fits almost anything.

Currently testing with a PNY GTX970 with blower cooler that I borrowed from a friend, bought an ASUS STRIX 970 for myself but first card was defective, waiting for replacement.

All these results are with Optimus enabled (not direct attached to video output on card).

I will redo those benchmarks after I get the ASUS card, but here are preliminary results:

3dMark '11 Graphics - 11074 (P7817 overall)

3dMark '13 FireStrike Graphics - 7059 (5643 overall)

Unigine Valley 1.0 @ 1920x1080 Ultra - 1728

post-8440-14494999238722_thumb.gif

Some notes:

Hot-plug does not work, must fully shut down system, insert EC adapter, power on system twice (first time it turns on then immediately shuts off, second time boots correctly). Unplug while system is on results in a bad time, unplug while system in standby results in no video output. Any advice on how to fix these would be very appreciated.

Good news is no eGPU Setup, DSDT compaction, or any of that kind of stuff necessary, even with 12GB of RAM in system.

Will redo more benchmarks when final card comes in, without using Optimus (direct feed to monitor).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...