M17xR4 upgrades

Phx-Rush

My rig runs fineas is, but I'm still looking at upgrading vice getting a new rig. This is 2012vintage with an I7-3740QM and a 680M GPU. From what I'm gleaning from threads,is the CPU upgrade to an I7-3840QM worth the time and money. Will I get anyappreciable benefit? My first upgrade after I bump up my Hard drive space willbe a 780M GPU which will be a little better and it looks like most of theissues have been dealt with in threads here and at Alienwares forums.

Any thoughts are appreciated<o:p></o:p>

• 2 weeks later...

The 3740qm and 3840qm are pretty similar. I'd consider a 39xx XM CPU if you can afford it. The 3900's are fully unlocked and can be clocked up to their true limits, whereas the 37xx and 38xx offer some limited overclocking in these laptops but are not fully unlocked. Myself, I have a 3920XM CPU and I run mine at 4.4GHz, 1.35v. You'll just need to download the free Intel XTU tool and you'll be able to increase your CPU voltage and core clocks, up to the theoretical limit of 6.7GHz - although I doubt anyone has gotten above 5GHz successfully. The 39xx will cost you more than the 3800 due to being unlocked but I feel it's worth it in the M17x, and you can find them for sale on eBay. Note: Your system is also capable of running a 29xx CPU from the previous generation (Sandy Bridge.) It'll suck more power and generate more heat doing the same work, but it will be cheaper than the 39xx and can still be clocked higher than the 3840.

Thanks brah , I've looked at your R2 fan mod to get more cfm (10.4) and I like it. that's my next move along w/ an Intel Core i7-3940XM. How is your heat running w/ games at the top end of settings maybe before and after the new fan with stock clocks(along with OC). I have the 2 pipe, so the question is , will the extra air makeup for the new cpu?

• 3 weeks later...