Ok! :D

I haven't got a r3 heatsink around, so I can't tweak the model for you, but I could send it to you if you want... unfortunately the differences between M15x and r3 heatsink are not negligible, so it's probably easier and faster to design it from scratch.

I've seen some pics of the new 580m/6990m heatsink, seems they slapped some copper on it.

I cut some "kind of cooling rips" in the model and a a little writing :D Maybe I'll redesign the cooling rips, but I don't think they're that essential, there's no air flow in this are, so it's more for enlarging the surface. Though I'm not an expert at thermodynamics, if anyone has some ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Here two new renderings:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1660[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]1661[/ATTACH]

Well I dunno but I seem to think that you should bring the cooling rips right the the edges so the gaps come out at the sides as well. Right now it looks like despite the larger surface area, the heat feels boxed in.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But since there's no airflow and it's upside-down in the system, I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Here's a quick render where the cuts go to the edge (forgot to set the lighting correctly, so it's a bit dark)

post-80-14494988326183_thumb.jpg

you mean that this is the side facing the board ?

The picture in post #27 is the side where the heatpipes get soldered on, so no, the side which makes contact with the die is the other one. Check out the pics on the previous page.

If you do the rips at the edge since it faces upside down could you skew the center of the rips up so the gaps get deeper toward the edge slightly to channel the heat up even more, just a thought SVL7.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but did you finish the heatsink? I was going to recommend your second option, use a thick (1mm+) copper sheet to create the touch surface, because it would be more effective overall, and make it safe by using springs between the screw and the heatsink to regulate pressure (I'm sure you've seen the design - I can post a pic if you want, though)...

I'm just waiting for it to getting milled... Someone who works in a workship with CNC mills said he could do it for me, but since I'm not a proper customer he has to wait until the machine isn't occupied by a paying customer... might take some more weeks, I don't know.

But I'll definitely update this thread as soon as I got it.

Edited by svl7

Yeah, if I had finished the model a couple of weeks earlier I'd already have it, but the customers have priority... Actually I have no plan to make more than one and sell them, the M15x has been phased out and the interest probably isn't too big... And remeber, it's only the heatsink, I will have to solder on the heatpipes... Well I'll see.

Ah, and btw, I prefer $ to €, but best would be Swiss Francs ;) We're not in the EU (for good reasons) and still have our own currency.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah I forgot :) still euros wouldn't hurt, 1€ is 1.20 CHF

Hehehe, yes... that's mainly because the Swiss National bank is artificially keeping the exchange rate down, at the moment 1€ has to be at least 1.20 CHF... sucks for the consumers, they're doing it for the export industry (which is very small in Switzerland, honestly, I can't understand this decision... )

Anyway, back to the topic... in case I get a new AW system sometime next year, I'll see whether I can do another custom heatsink and maybe getting a couple of units. Selling them would be great. But first of all this one has to be working (and getting milled....)

Seems like they're totally working to capacity until Christmas... damn, too bad. Hmm, maybe I can get it done somewhere else... but producing just one piece usually costs an arm and a leg...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

post-80-14494993055984_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993055713_thumb.jpg

Finally... :) Obviously it's not finished yet, still needs the heatpipes and fins mounted to it.

Got it milled as a custom job at a small German company which mainly specializes on liquid cooling solutions for Desktop hardware (liquid-extasy.de). It wasn't cheap, but one has to take into account that it's a single custom piece, and setting up the machine etc. simply needs some time. Considering this I'd say the price was fair, and so far I'm very happy with the result, though I only did some quick checks as I didn't have time for a thorough examination.

The only negative point is that it took way too long to get manufactured. The agreed deadline has not been met at all, which is naturally highly unacceptable.

Anyway, I finally got my milled piece of copper, and as already mentioned, so far the quality of the work seems excellent.

One thing I worried about were the mounting posts for the clips of the original M15x heatsink, which I use in my custom design as well. It seems my measuring has been accurate enough (fortunately!!) and the milling is highly precise as well (didn't measure it so far, but the clips fit perfectly :)) Also notice the MXM backplate looking through the holes in the clips in the last picture, a quite important detail... since it indicates that my design is precise.

post-80-14494993055129_thumb.jpg

I'm really happy that all seems to be fine so far, I hope that I can finish this soon.

post-80-14494993054114_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993054375_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993054623_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993054876_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993055398_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494993056206_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 11

Hehehe, thanks guys! :) Really hope I can finish this soon, obviously I'm going to use the original M15x heatpipes, they're bended quite complicatedly and there's simply no free space to add some additional pipes. Still, the heatsink should fit the 69xxm series very well, and the 79xxm series too, at least judging by the pics I've seen so far. Should definitely help at least a bit with the cooling. It's almost 7oz of massive copper :D

Yeah love the new avatar SVL7 T|I has gone Copper! SVL7 time to re over-volt your cpu and overvolt that 6970m ;)

Hey SVL7 who needs liquid cooling when you have a copper foundation for a heatsink!

Nearly a half a pound... what more could you ask for.... well you could replace your cooling fins with copper if they aren't already :)