PIMP My UFO

Granyte

Project 1

The back panel

Some time ago some one over the NBR forum had an idea to improve the cooling on the alienware M17 by creating a custom back pannel.

I decided to give it a try the goal is improve the size of the air intake and the airflow across the laptop so i though about it that way if i put someting directly over the fan and a hudge air intake just beside it should force the air to cycle inside the laptop.

click on the pictures to get a bigger version

Alienware_M17_R1_4bb205569c0e0.jpg

so we start with this

imagesCAVSQWND.jpg

And this is the fan positionings (note that pic is not from my m17 i found it on the web and it was faster to use it then take a picture of mine after i was done with the mod and wanned to game)

mods.jpg

so the idea is to build something like that (ya ugly i know my picture manipulation skills are VERRY lacking)

101_0607.JPG

Material used this mesh

101_0609.JPG

use a cuting tool in my case a dremel 4000 with a flex shaft and the metal cutting wheel

101_0610.JPG

cut the shape in the mesh

101_0611.JPG

after that cut the shape of the air intake in the back pannel (that's water on my back paneli had to clean it cause cutting through a sort of plastic/rubber makes an anoying powder that stick and "burn" your finger)

101_0614.JPG

once done assemble both part and ajust the mesh to be sure it fit with mounting holes and other stuf then glue all part together and enjoy.

i also covered the original grills that where just over the fans

Project 2

a preview of what is comming

DSCN5362.JPG

The pcb you see has been custom designed by me for that project

my projects are posted faster over there Granyte and cie but i'll end up posting them here anyway

i have quite some modifications plans for that laptop

so what do you guys think?

Edited by Granyte
Update
  • Thumbs Up 6

thanks

the diference i would say it should be around 5 degre idle i can't be 100% sure cause my last test where i monitored the temperature were in december with an ambian temp of about 16 and now the ambian temp is about 32 but yet i see a 2 degre improvemen compared to last december

but this is compared to my adrealy modded m17 a stock m17 with no mods idle around 62 mine is around 42

there are detail on my blog and since my fan died 2 days ago i'm relying on an almost passive cooling until i get a replacement fan to put in my heatsink i can't test underload temp

i have been runing without a back pannel for nearly one year and then i got a girl friend....

wich forces me to move around quite a bit so i have to put the back pannel back on every time i move so i wanned to fix this and i also think for the temperature reading that it might be 1c less then running without the back pannel because of the ram sink i added on my gpu heat sink (you can see then through the mesh) and the way i designed the back pannel it forces the air around them to cycle

update added: project 2 if some of you knwo the m17 you might guess where i'm going with that micro controler a led and a custom designed pcb

No need for a drill, get a solder sucker or whatever this is called in English, a little pump which sucks in the solder once it's liquid. The other option is to use desoldering braid and remove all of the solder you can. Some will stay in the hole. Then heat up the solder which is blocking the hole and quickly put in a piece of wire. Then desolder the wire, the hole should be solder free afterwards.

actualy that specific pcb is done preatty much nothing can be done for it

you can see on the picture i have burnt and destroyed the pin emplacement for the led because these emplacement are made for surface mounted led since i could not find the apropriate eagle file for a RGB led

but i need the drill bits to make holes in the emplacement to pass the led pin

Edited by Granyte