need help pls! I think FN+F7 (I/D GFX) shortcut bricked MB

giozera

Hello

I have M18x R2 with i7 extreme, single gtx 660m, I'm not quiet sure with bios i had A9 unlocked but i may have updated it to A10 unlocked few month back.

So what happened i was in win7 and for some reason i hit FN+F7 it asked me to reboot and i did which was last time it booted to win7. Once i click power it starts, lughts up everything just for second without displaying anything on screen and shuts off after that, tryed powering up many times nothing, reseted bios nothing, by draining Fn and power button combination nothing, tryed blind flash to stock A3 it seems like it's starting process both fans spin full speed and nothing happens after that no beeping sound, tryed different usb drive nothing again, i removed gpu and try booting nothing again, i even swapped cpu and still the same. I ran out of options don't know what else to try, it seems that it still got life in it but can't figure it out what to do. I don't understand how this stupid keyboard combination can ruin it? Any suggestions? pls

Wow looks like I'm alone on this one. Not a single one

Your not alone in this. Happened to me a couple of times. Both times I tried everything possible to reset the BIOS, nothing worked. Seems like you have tried the Blind Bios Flash method. Hopefully you are under warranty to have the MB replaced. Had to do that for mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to one of my 18xr2's a few years back that had accumulated trace amounts of elements since it was in my parts and models bench area which can get a bit dusty. Nothing worked and finally and I ended up disassembling the entire system and giving the MB an iso bath (assuming some trace of conductive material was somewhere on the system board), reassembled and everything started back up fine. I also took the time to clean everything meticulously once I had it broken down too.

Maybe not the path you want to take, but I've brought many systems back to life with a complete dis-assembly, inspection and cleaning.

Is it a no POST issue now or no Display issue?

Just remove all the ram, should beep twice to indicate no ram, or remove boths GPUs to force it to use the intel GPU

In his initial message, he says he only has one GPU and has removed it to no avail. I'm not sure if he removed the ram, but it isn't even making it to any semblance of post.

Is it a no POST issue now or no Display issue?

Just remove all the ram, should beep twice to indicate no ram, or remove boths GPUs to force it to use the intel GPU

Hi

Yes i did remov Ram, gpu, cpu, did all kinda power drains and reset combinations and even tried blind flash and nothing helped! Nothing! soo frustrated i ordered refurbished MB. I don't get how this f***ing keyboard shortcut could ruin MB soo bad??? I'm not noob i had briked this MB before too 2 y ago and i brought to life again with blind flash. This time it's not reacting to any treatmen. It gives out signs of life but doesn't want to get back to life! It beeps when ram is removed, beeps when cpu is removed, starts fans in full speed as it should do when doing blind flash, but doesn't do blind flash ( no beeping). It was working soo smooth before shortcut pressed no issues at all, it was perfect machin. :-(

• 1 year later...

I have recently ended up in the same predicament as Giozera did around this time last year. My Internal graphics on the m18xr2 is causing the system to fail to boot. Mine also turns off after a second or two with no beeps.

Unlike Gio, mine was from buggering around with the settings for it in bios, I changed the screen type to 1080. I am trying a method of forcing a blind flash on bios later than a07, this method worked for me in the past, but it takes hours.

When I previosly followed the method posted by Mr Fox - remove ac, system battery, drain. Remove ram and coin battery then turn on. It 2 bleeps then briefly shuts off, during shut down insert ram and it then 5 bleeps. Then it should allow an esata blind flash. My system has so far failed to briefly shut down allowing for the ram insert. I previosly left it for 4 hours or so bleeping then manually shut down and inserted ram and turned it on. It then 5 bleeped and allowed a blind flash.

My laptop is beeping away as I write this, touch wood this works. My question to you Giozera (as I am sure you have guessed) is how did you rectify this problem?

It has not even been 2 weeks since I replaced my bricked screen. It serves me right for fiddling with settings tbh.

Cheers

Will.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

have you tried pulling it apart and putting it back together again? this seems to fix a fair amount off issues.

you may need to send it away to be repaired by a pro if you are uncomfitable with the process. It wont be to expensive to have done either.

im glad this hasnt happend to me ive tried switch GPU on the same model and lucky for me it did nothing.

Edited by killerii

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...