2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX980@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.10 [rossfre

Got my Macbook pro working with 10.10.1 and the GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GPU. Used this guide from Jose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOB9qmPjaE&index=16&list=WL

The computer boots ~70% of the time just fine. Other times its just black, but when its running it works great.

First install I did I used the newest CUDA 6.5.33 driver for MAC and that did NOT work, the GeForce 980 showed up in the system profiler but Davinci Resolve and Octane would not recognize it. Weirdly LuxMark did recognize it and did benchmark it, But I was also getting GPU glitches in the UI in safari and elsewhere.

UPDATE: Just installed CUDA 6.5.37 and it works just as well as 6.5.25

I also had a 90degree pcie riser on the GPU but it didn't work so I just removed it, Less pieces the better anyway.

Here's a blog Post I did with photos and Benchmarks

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks a lot for the answer. Maybe my stability problems are coming from there. I just ordered one to see if it is the atikio psu is causing problem. I have random freeze/restart even when browsing internet. I hope this is going to solve it...

Ya so far (1st day) its completely stable, It wasn't when I had the Newest CUDA drivers, but with the 6.5.25 Drivers no glitches. I had the 90 degree riser in there but the AKiTio wasn't getting power from the powered riser, Removed it and it worked great, powering the AkiTio off the EVGA PSU, Not doing any gaming just rendering and resolve.

Are you saying that with the powered riser cable and the 90 degree adapter the Akitio board wasn't getting power, and that by removing the 90 degree adapter and just using the powered riser cable it works fine?

I need the 90 degree adapter otherwise it won't fit in my mini-itx case.

I have the same set-up that I am about to build tomorrow so I'd like to confirm that before I build.

Are you saying that with the powered riser cable and the 90 degree adapter the Akitio board wasn't getting power, and that by removing the 90 degree adapter and just using the powered riser cable it works fine?

I need the 90 degree adapter otherwise it won't fit in my mini-itx case.

I have the same set-up that I am about to build tomorrow so I'd like to confirm that before I build.

Ya that was the problem, but I just may have had a bad 90 degree adapter not sure. Give it a try if it doesn't power the akitio remove the 90 degree adapter and try it

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX980@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.10 [rossfre