eGPU cases

Dschijn

• 2 weeks later...

Wood does not transfer heat well, obstructs airflow to the rear of the card and makes for a fire hazard. That said, in general, having it on its side will do not the setup itself harm. If you could give it some standoffs so that the card would be on the side but not lying on the wooden table, it would be better/safer.

5 hours ago, diabloretriever said:

is it needed to use enclosure? to avoid dust?

Not really, you may just clean your card frequently. But I think it's good to have one to protect the card and organize the parts. I did not use my egpu very much yet as I didn't like having the unprotected gpu, psu and cables on my desk and moving it all around when I need to. I'm currently working on a case and when finished I will start using the egpu more frequently.

12 hours ago, yeahman45 said:

Ok thx. Will try to add rubber 'stands' to it. Having it horizontal does not affect airflow right?

A video card in a desktop is typically horizontal :)

Just now, Yukikaze said:

A video card in a desktop is typically horizontal :)

hahaha!!! yeah you are right man!!

But I want to use a case but the EXP GDC wire is so short... is there a way to extend it? is it a standard hdmi cable?

On 7/8/2016 at 7:22 PM, yeahman45 said:

On 7/8/2016 at 5:30 PM, 3RYL said:

Not really, you may just clean your card frequently. But I think it's good to have one to protect the card and organize the parts. I did not use my egpu very much yet as I didn't like having the unprotected gpu, psu and cables on my desk and moving it all around when I need to. I'm currently working on a case and when finished I will start using the egpu more frequently.

yeah. thank you. It's great to create a custom case.

I am planning to use silverstone milo series ML08. but currently i own a ATX PSU. from what i read it should use SFX PSU but in limitation, they don't say that ATX PSU could not fit.

what do you think?? 

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607&area=en

On 7/8/2016 at 7:22 PM, yeahman45 said:

hahaha!!! yeah you are right man!!

But I want to use a case but the EXP GDC wire is so short... is there a way to extend it? is it a standard hdmi cable?

I read a thread here(but forget where exactly it is) it said that extension HDMI cable or the 90 degree HDMI extension did't work at all. 

i'll find the thread then post it here.

Edited by diabloretriever

4 hours ago, diabloretriever said:

yeah. thank you. It's great to create a custom case.

I am planning to use silverstone milo series ML08. but currently i own a ATX PSU. from what i read it should use SFX PSU but in limitation, they don't say that ATX PSU could not fit.

what do you think?? 

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607&area=en

I saw some videos about it but just a guy said that normal ATX wont fit. I could not see it's interior very well in the reviews, but it doesn't seem that it would fit, as the case is only 1mm thicker than an ATX PSU. The side panels and bended metal to support the parts would have to be thicker than that.

I will make mine with black acrylic

Edited by 3RYL

On 16.7.2016 at 3:30 PM, 3RYL said:

I saw some videos about it but just a guy said that normal ATX wont fit. I could not see it's interior very well in the reviews, but it doesn't seem that it would fit, as the case is only 1mm thicker than an ATX PSU. The side panels and bended metal to support the parts would have to be thicker than that.

Yes, an ATX PSU will not fit, but SFX size PSUs will!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those wondering why the Silverstone SG01 is not listed in the OP:

q6PsASf.png

(Left: geforce.com page for the GTX 580. Right: Silverstone's page for the SG01)

Sigh. And I thought I could snap up that SG01 that just went on sale on a local classifieds for $10 and stop having my eGPU be mounted in an open plastic basket with zip-ties and power cables hanging everywhere. That said, there's no reason the SG01 wouldn't work if you were using a short card.

EDIT: Can anyone who has an SG01 answer this: What is preventing longer cards from being installed and could you just saw it off to make more space?

Edited by Arbystrider

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi to everybody,

I made a case for EXP GDC Beast adapter that can fit in ATX power supply. To made it, I used 3mm Plexiglas and parts printed on my 3d printer. Case is very solid and allow to hide all cables from eGPU.

I use GTX580 3GB Windforce  connected to my old HP 8440p.  GTX580 is very good priced card for making renders- I'm not playing games, just using it in VRay.

If anybody want to make this  case, or make something similar, I published all files on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1893913

1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, I've just updated my config from the plexiglass handmade one

IMG_7279_640x360.png   IMG_7280_640x360.png

to a clearer Inter-Tech GmbH - ITX SY-800, you can see both in the pics.

IMG_7281_360x640.png  IMG_7282_640x360.png

IMG_7283_640x360.png

One question only, I used a powered riser, and forgot completely to consider the space occupied by the riser curve, so temporarily I fixed the gorgeous JetStream 970 with three firm, affordable, cable ties. It is locked, but I can't access the back outputs and it's quite ugly respect to the rest, imho. Would be a problem if I add a 90 degrees pci curve? Should I have to change the riser? Is it mandatory to have the molex power? Thanks in advance and hope you like my work.

EDIT: about now I can't find powered angled risers "in the direction I need". So the chances are 

- no power angled riser

- powered riser + passive curve

which one is less performance draining?

Edited by El_Febio

• 2 months later...

Hi guys! Here is my case for EXP GDC v8.3 fully hand made from aluminum. All i need is to make cover and then paint it with black color.

The sizes of this case are: 350mm *160 mm * 160 mm. All cases that i saw before has two critical lacks - you need to place somewhere PSU for your eGPU and use small size videocard. And i decided to make all-in-one case in which you can put any standard PC PSU and GPU (even long size, about 330-340mm) together. So i wanted to make it universal. (here are 5 photos, and two of them with GPU without a cooler were made much more earlier and i poste them for you can see my case in perspective).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.