Clevo and Alienware Cooling

Sniegu

Hi i wonder to find out with laptop should have better cooling

Results have been taken when Gaming Battlefield 4 1920x1080p all Ultra

Alienware 17 i7 4910MQ with GTX 780M - My Temp's on gaming are GPU arround 75-78 long period and CPU 70-75 long period . (remove stock thermal paste and applied IC Diamond 7)

Clevo P375SM-A i7 4940MX with GTX 880M SLI - Temp's here GPU1 arround 82-88 long period GPU2 80-85 long period , CPU 80-90 (remove stock thermal paste and applied IC Diamond7)

Are those temp are fine?? Clevo have Thick fans and bigger wents so i quess Cooling should be better in Clevo . or iam wrong??

looking for some advice . Going to sell Alienware and i'll keep Clevo because its 17 inch laptop with SLI . Much better FPS in games.

Thanks

From my experience you can not look at the size of the vents and fans and draw a conclusion regarding the temps while for example gaming. So much more goes into it ie paste, piping to remove the heat, placement of the heat generating components in the laptop, power efficiency of the components etc... Though temps might be the same noise might differ. Personally I play with a small fan in my laptop atm. Keep temps fine but at a very high rev count = noise. What temps are considered safe are usually available through the manufacturer. Try a quick google search, often it will be very easy to find.

I've understood that almost all clevo heatsinks are a bit uneven and can cause temps to rise. (Correct me if im wrong :) ) Some have lapped the heatsinks and some get by by using thicker thermal paste.

I think that your cpu temp in clevo might be a tad lower if you are running stock setup. Try to elevate the laptop a bit. Place something under the feet so it gets more air.

those temps seem fine on the clevo. gpu1 and 2 could have thermal variances, but correct me if i'm wrong, i think gpu 1 should run a little hotter since it is master gpu and has a little overhead for the sli. but yeah, making sure your heatsinks are good by checking what the paste looks like, or doesn't look like, on heatsink and die when you take it off could be a sign you could do a little modding and get better efficiency. IC7 is supposed to be one of the better pastes though i've never tried it. putting too much paste could also raise your temps potentially. and also as mentioned, elevating your laptop a little to give intake vents a little more airflow always helps. i think i might build my own notebook cooler with two 80mm fans and a coolerguys power supply. depends on which laptop i get next. still haven't decided if it's a clevo 170sm-a or clevo p770zm,

Those temps are fine for both the GPU and CPU. The 880m's are power hungry and the 780m's are not much better.

You'll find they all tend to hover around that unless you luck out with the right heatsink AND GPU. Even heatpipe quality enters into it.

I'd go for the highest FPS and not worry about those temps at all.

I have a p377sm-a, which is pretty much identical to the cooling setup of the p375sm-a. The temps you posted look ok to me. I had GPU 1 on mine get into the 90's and caused it to throttle back. I opened up the bottom cover and removed the fan for GPU 1. When I did that a big clump of dust came out and I figued out that it was blocking air flow. Now my temps have dropped about 15 degrees and are in about the range you are getting. So be careful about dust. A can of air is your friend! :)