Favourite desktop brand?

Custom all the way, although since starting my new job I've had to pass on the reins to one of my best friends.. Now I can just have him build/upgrade for me. You can't beat reusing parts in a new build or a frakenbuild.

• 1 month later...

MSI has always been good to me in the RMA department. I once had to RMA a X1900XT and got back a 2900XT when they were going for $400 and I had bought the X1900xt for $200 6 months before. What I liked about MSI RMA is they asked me if a X would be suitable replacement instead of just sending out a higher end card (although this practice could have changed as this back in 2007 I believe.

For mother board Asrock has always worked out good for me, they are pretty much identical to there Asus counter parts at much lower price.

To the OP, doing a custom build is not hard at all. If you have some time and can build Ikea furniture, then you should do it. There are several guides on the internet, with pictures. As everyone has said, you get exactly what you want. Plus it costs less to get the same thing. It is easier to upgrade later. It something fails, it is easier to fix. Pay for features you want, not ones you don't want.

I like to build desktops that are slient unless you put your head right next to them. That is hard to do with prebuilt, and you have limited choices. With custom, I just buy the right coolers and the right fans and case. A vacuum cleaner sound turns into a barely heard whisper.

I have Dell desktops that are big white boxes from windows 98. Still running well for running linux and doind light work. Though building your own desktop is the best way. For motherboards I like MSI. Corsair cases. Seasonic power supplies. EVGA video cards. I'll use anything thats availible to me.

I used to build my own desktops, with cheap cases and free windows. Last year I found a Dell Inspiron desktop with nice case and hardware for much cheaper than a custom build. I don't game, just 3D work so I have a workstation card from before that I just popped into the Dell and it's good to go.

Its sad that there's so few choices, even less in Canada...so in this case it would be Dell.

Building is the best because you can pick and choose exactly what you want and for high end machines save a TON of money. It can be terrible on the flip side since all responsibility of fixing the machine is on you, and, if you don't know much about system security it can be less secure on top of self-service for warranties etc.

I just built 2 friends tower PCs and they paid me a couple hundred bucks to do it, but in the end they still get more than what they would have through a retailer. Longer warranties, more powerful hardware, etc.

Between parts being so affordably priced these days, the existing lack of high-end desktops available, and the option to get -precisely- what you want, building is the only way to go. Now, if you want/need mobility, that's a whole different set of issues. But, if you're going to have an actual desktop, you need to build it.

custom build. a long, long time ago that i don't use a brand desktop in my home, since 2001, i believe. actually, i think i had only 2 pre-build desktops for personal use in my life, one of them was a Compaq Presario 4410, my first PC ever. in the office is a different scenario, because of the support for multiple-PCs and servers. for that purpose, i prefer dell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me, if it's built right, a custom build. That is, good PSU (I hate cheap gutless wonders), dencent case (no razor thin flimsy crap), and decent quality parts. Assembled properly. And this isn't for cost reasons, but for flexabilty reasons. IMHO if you're really saving on cost, either you got a really good deal (like me and free crap from buddies) or you bought cheap junky parts that won't last. Board brand wise, I like supermicro, tyan, MSI, and gigabyte (although intel's boards were also reliable albeit limited in the BIOS out of the box). I really don't like ASUS boards... I've had the worst luck with them.

If not custom, say for a less saavy friend, I'd say Dell. I've had great luck with their stuff, both desktop and laptop. Least favorite: HP. Their laptops are reflow magnets and thier desktops are kinda meh for me. I'm also not fond of Lenovo and Acer/Gateway/emachines... They've been hit or miss. At least for me personaly, the issue lenovo seems to have is exterior durability; My Ideapad Touch P400 hasn't held up well (then again, it is consumer crap and not a proper business model (dell latitude, panasonic toughbook, etc.).

My favorite desktop brand is the "Junk" aka custom build

For component manufactore i do not rellay have a favorite. But i do like fractals cases and i have a weak spot for Gigabytes budget motherboards, at least there older AM3 boards. Those things are made to last forever.