Favourite desktop brand?

For personal use, building a desktop is the way to go. Personally, I love Antec, Corsair, and Gigabyte for most components.

But from a business standpoint, my company stands strong by HP. You send them an email on the support site, and they will have your part shipped (overnighted) within 1 business day. No fuss.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The only branded desktop I had was Dell Inspiron and I guess it was ok. It has lasted for over 5 years now, and its still in mint condition (apart from the fact that I really have to dust it out on the inside). I used it mostly as a home server which means it was on pretty much 24/7 for at least 2 years. The only problem with it is that it came with Windows Vista which initially had very unstable drivers.

Desktops are much different than laptops as its much less likely for some part to fail. I recently built a custom desktop but was also looking at pre-made desktops (Dell, Asus and some other weird brands like iBuyPower). Needless to say, they simply cannot compare to custom built desktops. There are probably better choices in terms of brand name desktops for companies where you just need a computer for people to work on and you couldn't care less about what's actually inside... and its probably very convenient to have a single company providing the support for the entire computer. And if you buy business stuff like IBM ThinkCentre, Dell Vostro its still pretty decent. I don't know much about real servers used in more professional settings, but it seems brand-name desktops would probably be a good choice there too.

Alienware has similar support (you get parts next-business day), but I found their desktops too pricey for what you get, compared to custom built. As for "gaming" branded desktops my observation is that they typically consist of a (too) powerful CPU and a sub-par or entry level GPU, priced about $700-$900, which seems to me like a rather bad joke. :)

That said, if I'll ever have my own research lab, rest assured every desktop computer in it will be custom built. :P

For myself, custom built rig (main components: Intel CPU, Tuniq CPU cooler, Corsair RAM, Asus mobo, Antec case, Seasonic PSU, WD HDD, Samsung SSD, eVGA nVidia GPU, Arctic Cooling GPU cooler, Klipsch speakers, Dell monitor, APC UPS). For those that want what I want but don't want to build it yourself, Puget - Serenity. For my business due to price and service, Dell - Small Business.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My own. Custom builds ensure flexibility. I get to pick a PSU I know can handle future upgrades, and I know exactly how many PCI slots, SATA ports etc. there are on the mainboard before I order it.

Ya custom build all the way. I like to "reuse" things I have lying around like an old PowerMac G5 case. Recently made a hackmac with that case using the Gigabyte UD5H and a 3770K processor. Powerful machine for a fraction of a mac pro!

• 2 weeks later...

Custom builds is the only way i always bought each part separately because if i do so i can choose exactly what i need don t need those shinny useless little things with brands ones got. Besides for the same hardware you pay less.

• 4 weeks later...
I have never heard of those "Fragboxes".

Aren't they too small to be fresh and quiet?

Nope, compare it to a laptop, even a tiny desktop box has bulk space for fans and airflow. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The custom ones :eagerness:

Building your own is much more fun, than buying a pre-built one. You can also choose your own brands, which is good. Then you know exactly what's in your PC!

If I had to choose a pre-built one.. It would probably be either Dell or Apple. I like the iMac (yes, it's a desktop) because of the sleak design, and Dell for making Alienware.