Alienware 17 GTX 970M upgraded huge problems

Brainiac92

Hey Guys,

I bought a new GTX 970M and installed the device in my Alienware 17 without any problems...

Problems came after installing the modded driver!

But first my Config:

Alienware 17

i7 4710mq

GTX 860M

8 GB DDR3-1600

120GB Intel 530

500 GB HDD

240 Watt PSU

Windows 8.1

Acutally the 860M is installed, because of the huge issues with the 970M.

My seller assured that the device isnt faulty and its all an driver and adjustment issue, but Im not really sure because I tested almost everything...

Had different driver which made no difference, reinstalled windows completly and also tried it with win 7... But nothing worked!

I got the 970M successfully through 3D Mark 11 with something about 10.000 Points... But GPU-Z, HwInfo and Nvidia system control doesnt work and let freeze the whole system so I have to press power button and restart... (games like BF4 wont work too :/)

Windows 8.1 is very instable with the 970M and also 3DMark11 bench doesnt work everytime...

So guys now its up to you...

Hope you have some advise for me, because I'm really disappointed :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Which BIOS version do you use? And do you know which vbios version is on your card?

What's the screen you got in your AW17? I assume it's a 60Hz LVDS monitor since you were able to use Win7. Did you try pure UEFI mode?

PS: Gonna put the 970m in my AW17 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Bios Version is A14... It came with this setting...

It's an 60Hz 1600x900 Display...

I'm not using the Windows which was preinstalled and the hdd (500gb plus 8gb ssd)... Installed a new one on the ssd but the old one on the hdd is still existing there...

Just made a new boot priority... But in Bios is UEFI Boot chosen...

How can I find the vbios version of my 970M? GPU Z isnt working...

Got the 970M through 3DMark11 again...

Here the scores: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9258723

BIOS Version of the 970M: 84.04.22.00.13

Maybe if its important.. after pressing power button there is quiet beep to here and then its like the machine is starting again.. after that it is booting normally but with 860M I didnt make this sound and went up faster!

I had a similar issue on an older system with an integrated Nvidia GPU after installing a dedicated card. Uninstall the video driver, then reboot into safemode and run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). This will clear out references to the old card in the registry so that the new one is properly set on the next driver installation.

DDU

do you have to go through the bios and change some settings for it to work?

Found the solution... It was not directly an Bios issue so it was hard to find, but the reason was that the preinstalled windows coexisted with my windows on ssd. So the UEFI used the boot manager from hdd to start windows from ssd. I deleted all drives completly (all partitions deleted!!!) and put ssd on first sata place. After that I reinstalled windows from dvd to SSD and changed bios setting to UEFI Boot (like it was before). Now the boot manager is on ssd ;) Next step was starting reinstalling all drivers and other programs... Then turned off driver signing and secure boot... Installed newest modded nvidia driver... restart... same issues again... BUT now I could turn off Optimus with FN+F5 and start only with dedicated GPU (didnt work before ---> 8 beeps). The 970m was in device manager as microsoft device listed and I installed driver again... Restart... and now it seems to be working perfectly! Device is recognized as 970m in device manager and no issues since then!

Not even the beep on startup?

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

No, the beep on startup is also gone and everything is working fine!

970M scores 10.000 points in 3DMark11 and boost clock also works :smilingface (52):

Battlefield 4 works very smooth and there are no issues left :)

If there is someone who has similar problems just contact me ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Is everyone changing their heatsink up coming from a 75w card(765m,860m) to 970m/980m? Eurocom's website shows a quick tutorial upgrading to a 980m and it appeared that they reused the 2 pipe heatsink. Can anyone confirm that it is okay to reuse the 2 pipe heatsink?

Is everyone changing their heatsink up coming from a 75w card(765m,860m) to 970m/980m? Eurocom's website shows a quick tutorial upgrading to a 980m and it appeared that they reused the 2 pipe heatsink. Can anyone confirm that it is okay to reuse the 2 pipe heatsink?

I don't have a 980m but from what I read it runs cooler than 780m.

I used 2 pipe heatsink with a 780m overclocked in my 17 no problem . If you overclock the crap out of the 780m it would run 82 but still work. 780m stock without overclock would run 70c with 2 pipe all day.

That's just my experience with 2 pipe.

I'm going to order a 980m and just use my 2 pipe. I think it will do just fine with good paste job.

It doesn't even with the 780M.

Dont know where the problem is...?

It was that way and I dont know why... Take a 970M in a AW17 and check it yourself -.-

I'm using the 2pipe heatsink and never hit over 65° (with Overclocking)

970M runs pretty cool ;)

• 5 months later...

Hey Brainiac92

I have a similar problem except that my 970m shows up in device manager but nVidia control panel wont open up. If i try to switch graphic cards manually, i get the dreaded 8 beeps on boot up.

Somehow the driver is seeing the card installed but not switching to it.

Laptop info:

AW m17x r4

Old card: 7970m

New card: GTX 970m

BIOS: A12

Power brick: 240W

I set the BIOS to UEFi but that doesnt seem to solve the problem either. Did you have to do any other BIOS settings that i should know of?

Thanks in advance for your help!