Reducing Heat for Laptops

[h=1]options[/h]1. apply thermal paste

2. clean exhaust vent and intake .. some dust might stick on the fan and vent, obstructing the air path..

3. apply thermal paste.. i prefer Artic Silver 5. on my experience my temperature decreases to 10 degrees Celsius..

4. have a Cooling pad.. i made cooling pad on my own.. ill be making another thread for custom made cooling pads out of light wood and 120mm 2000rpm fan

5. dont cover the intake vent or put your laptop on pillow while using it.

6. disable background running apps or anti virus.. some anti virus eats processing ability of cpu .. that leads to high clock.

7. avoid overclocking ..

hope it help and i will add and update for more.. so tune up for more guys..

1. Elaborate. What methods? CPU first? Heatsink first? Spread? X? Pea? Line? What paste?

2. Ok

3. Again? Also, decreases down to 10C? I'd love to see any machine do that :)

4. Do you mean copper shim or thermal pad? Wood is not a good thermal pad...

5. Duh

6. Irrelevant in this day and age, try 10 years ago.

7. Why?

I have a nagging suspicion you're trying to get 5 posts quickly... :)

• Thumbs Up 1

If you got 10* drop from arctic silver 5 you either had the worst thermal paste, worst application or combination of both. Article silver is a good all around paste, especially for beginners because it it so easy to apply but some of the top TIM's will give you maybe up to 5 degrees drop if applied proper. As mentioned before, gelid GC is good. Noctua nt-h1 I believe it's called. Shin-etsu is good but seemingly harder to find and one of the hardest pastes to apply I've used. IC7 is supposed though I have no personal experience. There's a couple of other good ones I can't think of, but for a lot of people it boils down to availability and cost. Locally I can't get any of the ones I mentioned except arctic silver. The others from amazon and newegg are pretty easy to get but the price isn't right sometimes.

Obviously dust is going to be a big issue, but like mentioned above make sure that you don't have anything running that shouldn't be. It can be quite common to find that a program is being a huge resource hog whether it be malware or not. Cooling pads could help, but they seem like a cheap and dirty fix to me. Last resort would be to change the thermal paste depending on the age of the laptop. Be sure to give it a thorough cleaning inside and out (software too).

• Thumbs Up 1

1. look for clean and dust free place. anti-static band might be need . remove cpu from the power. remove the heatsink from cpu. clean the waste thermal paste ( rubbing alcohol will do.. ) from processor and heatsink. dont touch the processor metallic side to avoid spaces cause by oil from your hand. apply thermal paste by putting little amount at the center of the processor. start spreading evenly. put back the heatsink into place. tighten up and your good to go..

3. yes.. i did decrease 10 degrees celcius. my system now is running at 37 degress at room temperature of 31 degrees.. note .. (we are near on the equator...)

4. well i said, custom made cooling pad.. if you want to buy and spend some money why not.. i do love to add my knowledge an experience.. wood is the best choice to fabricate homemade cooling pads.

5.no comment

6. well some use not powerful processor.. as we all know , old processor delivers low processing power and gives off alot of heat..

7. well commonly.. overclocks requires a lot more energy. lot more energy leads equals more heat, more heat equals overheat... commonly goes like that..

hope i had make my self clear enough..

1. look for clean and dust free place. anti-static band might be need . remove cpu from the power. remove the heatsink from cpu. clean the waste thermal paste ( rubbing alcohol will do.. ) from processor and heatsink. dont touch the processor metallic side to avoid spaces cause by oil from your hand. apply thermal paste by putting little amount at the center of the processor. start spreading evenly. put back the heatsink into place. tighten up and your good to go..

3. yes.. i did decrease 10 degrees celcius. my system now is running at 37 degress at room temperature of 31 degrees.. note .. (we are near on the equator...)

4. well i said, custom made cooling pad.. if you want to buy and spend some money why not.. i do love to add my knowledge an experience.. wood is the best choice to fabricate homemade cooling pads.

5.no comment

6. well some use not powerful processor.. as we all know , old processor delivers low processing power and gives off alot of heat..

7. well commonly.. overclocks requires a lot more energy. lot more energy leads equals more heat, more heat equals overheat... commonly goes like that..

hope i had make my self clear enough..

post-32059-14494999166388_thumb.jpg

They call it a laptop, but it doesn't work well in the lap. If you are gaming with one in your lap, try to keep the air intake vent off to the side of your leg, allowing cool air to flow in. Otherwise, the fan won't be much use to you.

If anyone's looking for a good laptop fan surface cooler thingy, I've used this one and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0/

• 4 weeks later...

Ya know, I've used both Shin-Etsu (there's a lot of it on eBay) and Gelid Extreme, but I'm really unable to say which is better. Both are difficult to spread, but all it takes is a little warming up. The first time I used Gelid GC-Extreme, I made a slight mess because the paste was stringy; by that I mean that miniscule strands would billow off the nozzle like flowing locks and get on some of the silicon. Finicky, but I learned how to apply it better the second time I went about it. Now with the 980Ms in, it's time to give it another shot! Gelid GC-Extreme certainly helped my CPU temps lower substantially. The main reason I repasted my components is because the CPU would reach critical temps while rendering video and kill the power on the Laptop. Hasn't happened since.

Also, for mobile GPUs, there is a very uncommon support bracket that's available, originally sold as part of the Nvidia 480-580M cards that has a heat spreader plate that covers both RAM banks. This, I'd imagine would helpt dissipate the heat a bit. How much temps it'd save you, I don't know.

Hey guys, i'm a bit new and was wondering if there were any ways to prevent dust from clogging up the heatsinks or increasing the heat that is carried from the heatsink. On my old laptop (dell i1520) i used to clean mostly the gpu heatsink (since the gpu was removable with it) and had mx2 applied with phobya pads on the vram and southbridge chip(i think that's the term for it).

• 1 month later...

1. Remove dust (most important place is between fan and radiator)

2. Clean CPU and GPU core ( best is IPA - isopropyl alcohol)

3. Clean radiators CPU and GPU

4. Change old thermopads to new ones

5. Use good thermal paste like GC Extreme, MX-2.

6. Have Fun! Temperatures will lowers, fun will quieter.

The best coolant is... a bamboo pad. Not with coolers, not with turbine or with plastic s.... Natural bamboo.

I know, that these pads are expensive, but worth it!

Also - make your table clean, clean your room and *DO NOT* take notebook on you knees/blanket...

Stable desk and normal work on it is a receipe to no problems with overheating.

I am a proof with my very hot Alienware M14x :)

Raise the back of the notebook a few centimeters. Makes a world of difference. Raising y410p a few centimeters drops max CPU and GPU temps by over 10 degrees. I've been using winebottle caps to raise mine haha.

ive got an elitebook 8770w and it runs really cool, but i use to get absolutely horrid temps, im talking 60-70 idle, after a good ammount of compressed air and now using a docking station with elevates the back ive got it down to 30-40, i must say first time using compress air was a blast lol, sooooo much dust balls came out of nooks and crannys that i didnt even know the laptop had, never underestimate a good compressed air cleaning

• 2 weeks later...

My Lenovo Y580 with repasted CPU/GPU is around 45°C when idle and the cooling pad is turned off. With the cooling pad on, it's a bit cooler. With Battlefield on Mid/High-settings it does not exceed 70°C. Pretty good, i guess. :)

Before cleaning i mostly had temperatures around 85-90°C. As you can see it is worth cleaning your laptop and if it has a dust-removal funtion (like some lenovos have) you better use it.

• 3 weeks later...