MSI GT80 Titan SLI - Alienware who?

Brian

At 47W with fixed TDP it might run 4.4GHz at idle, but it won't hold those clocks with all cores fully loaded. It will throttle to stock non-turbo clock speeds under full load because 47W is at least half of what it needs to run at that speed on all cores under load. You might be able to run one or two cores that way at 47W, but doing that is pretty much worthless. It will behave much like the Alienware 17 and 18 did using stock BIOS settings without cranking up the power with XTU, which is unacceptable.

At 47W with fixed TDP it might run 4.4GHz at idle, but it won't hold those clocks with all cores fully loaded. It will throttle to stock non-turbo clock speeds under full load because 47W is at least half of what it needs to run at that speed on all cores under load. You might be able to run one or two cores that way at 47W, but doing that is pretty much worthless. It will behave much like the Alienware 17 and 18 did using stock BIOS settings without cranking up the power with XTU, which is unacceptable.

with throttlestop we can adjust current to CPU so it should be fine no?

@unityole all H Series CPU´s are BGA... i7-4720HQ, i5-4210H, i7-4890HQ etc...

When you have other questions, i had the GT80 here for testing, directly from MSI, because i´m Moderator from the german MSI Forum. Here is our short german Test: Das MSI GT80 Titan im Überblick und Erfahrungen - Neue MSI-Hardware - MSI Forum

@Mr Fox, I agree from an enthusiast bencher viewpoint this is not going to cut it, but what are your thoughts about it as a pure gaming machine? Lets say comparing it to the current Alienware 18 (even if AW18 will not be there to compete in the future). A lot of AW18 are shipping with the 4710/4810, pound for pound or dollar for dollar when comparing at stock this looks comparable from a purely gaming perspective. Thoughts?

@iTzZent, where you able to try this system with any of the current games e.g.

- FarCry 4

- Warlords of Draenor (MMO's always make CPU work hard and that seems to be the limiting factor on this rig)

- Witcher 2 (older but always tough at max settings)

- Watch Dogs

Really interested in seeing what sort of pure gaming machine this is, especially now that Alienware will not be competing in the 18" market anymore

• 3 weeks later...

I can vouch for the GT80 both the 001 and 009 setups are built for gaming and perform brilliantly.

I do play farcry 4 and running wide open with HBO+ is stunning and locked at 60fps with gpus between 50 - 75% in most cases.

I previously owned the AW18 780m with 4930mx and the GT80 is a very noticiable step up Aw18 scoring 8500 roughly and GT80 scoring over 13000 firestrike scores in stock clock and similar CPU speed.

You won't be disappointed if you looking for a gaming machine.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the world of BGA turd CPUs. Unless you have an unlocked mobile Extreme, Desktop K or X CPU you're screwed. None of the BGA turds are truly unlocked.

You can change some things and improve performance to a degree, but TDP is fixed. You should be able to play with core ratios, voltage, turbo time limits, etc., but you will be limited in what you can do with an ordinary consumer grade processor. This isn't unique to BGA CPUs, but there is no upgrade path to achieving truly excellent performance since the CPU is welded to the mobo.