Alienware laptops

ibennz

Hi members,

My question here is kinda stupid id assume. But how come the price gap between alienwares laptop and clevo laptops is so huge? I want to build an overkill gaming laptop and be able to change parts whenever I want. (Preferably slowly starting to build towards it from a base.)

Regards, Benz.

• Founder

Alienware charges for name, slightly better build material and better warranty. As of now though it seems Clevo is the more configurable and expandable of the two.

Pretty much what Brian said, Alienware's price tag comes with the aesthetics that apparently not much people like for rigs. I still stand by my purchase and I'm sure lots of people who own an Alienware do, but I can tell you upgrades and customizations are becoming less common. I have the m14x R1 and compared to the m14 now, options are much less. If you want something more flexible maybe go with the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm not sure how it is with Clevo/Sager but I get awesome aftersale support from Alienware. Like what mentioned above, the name, build quality, and the aestetics makes the difference.

I wish I could say the same. I've only experience pure horror from both Dell and Alienware.

Ive always bought Dell laptops and Ive never had a problem with them and Ive bought a lot of laptops from them. I purchased my first Alienware 14 from them in 2013 and have not had a problem with it at all. So I dont know how the warranty is but Ive heard there warranty sucks.

Alienware has substantially better build quality than most others out there, based on my experience. In addition, their customer support can be vastly superior. I used the word "can" here, because there are times where you'll be frustrated with their CSRs. The level of support you'll get from them depends entirely on who you're dealing with. I've had very good experiences with them, though I know other people have experienced the exact opposite.

Once you've held an AW product in your hand and used it, you'll understand where part of the price premium is going.That being said, they're no longer as easy to upgrade, and have less configuration options.

If all you're looking at is the specs compared to comparable brands, then AW does indeed seem pricey, and people love to hate on AW for being overpriced. But these people simply don't understand what it is you're paying for.