Best SSD for M14x

If you check the A08 + Sata III fix thread, a lot of people give different SSD that they use. Personally I plan on upgrading to the Samsung 840 Evo. They are decently priced since there is a new model (850?), but I think the R1 is to old to be compatible. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...
what about a m-ssd I see there is a spot for it in the R1, but does it work? would like to use it if it does and get another SSD sata drive.

Are you talking about the M.2 SSDs? Those will not work as the M14 R1/R2 only have a mSATA slot (only the R2 has mSATA support). And you can't put a M.2 card in a mSATA port or vice versa. You can pick up mSATA drives for decently cheap however.

I personally had normal SSD in main drive spot, HDD in disc caddy, mSATA SSD in the mSATA slot.

I read that the r1 does not support msata. You can only put a red ssd in and if you would like a hdd, you would have to replace the optical bay for it or run an external hdd. I personally have installed a samsung 840 evo in my m14x r1 with the a08 sata fix bios and the speeds are amazing. I have had no problems with start up, etc that other people reported when they try the sata fix. I also have the original hdd sitting in the optical bay.

I read that the r1 does not support msata. You can only put a red ssd in and if you would like a hdd, you would have to replace the optical bay for it or run an external hdd. I personally have installed a samsung 840 evo in my m14x r1 with the a08 sata fix bios and the speeds are amazing. I have had no problems with start up, etc that other people reported when they try the sata fix. I also have the original hdd sitting in the optical bay.

Correct, the R1 doesn't support mSATA. The daugtherboard for the mPCIe/mSATA ports is the same in the R1/R2 model. So when I swapped my R1 mobo to a R2 mobo, the mSATA then worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using samsung for a while now. I had a kingston one. couldn't notice the difference. I bought samsung because I needed big space, and I read a lot of good reviews about it. To be honest, I don't notice samsung ssd is better than the one I previously had, nor did I notice samsung ssd uses less power. To be honest, I am pretty disappointed now because I always get error when I move large files around. when I say error, meaning the check5sum value changes when I move large files. Literally moving files from one folder to the other on the same partition. the file got corrupted. If it's your first ssd, go with a cheaper one now, get a good one later on when the tech improves more.

• 1 year later...

I've just bought a Samsung EVO 850 and it is great, you will not regret it plus amazon uk prices has been really good lately, check that out too. I even did a clean install from HDD to SSD, took around 30 minutes to get my system working again and it was easy as pie.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29.09.2016 at 0:43 AM, Sickonicko68 said:

I have a Samsung 840 Pro in mine, sadly I don't have the Sata III fix bios as yet, but the speeds are pretty good on Sata II :)

I have 840 Evo and try to use "fixed bios". It doesn't work for me. System not started, started only after many attempts and freezes after 2-3 min of work. It's enough for me for rollback to original BIOS. That's a bad story...

Edited by CONSTANTUS

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just swapped in one of ADATA's brand new line of 3D-Vertical SSD's the "Ultimate" line, 128GB + the original 32GB MSATA. It works for now and it's speedy and I love it. It reduced the overall operating temperatures in my M14X R2 so much that now the CPU never throttles anymore, and the GPU isn't throttling either. I gained roughly +30% performance in games just because the cpu and gpu aren't thermal throttling anymore. I also gained about +48 minutes battery time while in 2D / basic windows mode (browsing the internet and chatting on instant messengers and forums and emails.)

So you M14X R2 users.. swap your mech drive out for a SSD. It's seriously the best thing you can ever do to these laptops. They run like a dream without a hot mech drive in em.